Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

24 Season 1 - Opinions Wanted

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-06-03, 01:54 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I need a quick opinion on this set. I'm thinkin of blind buying it today. I'm not too worried about if I would like it or not because I've seen clips of it and it seems really good. My main gripe is what kind of replay it has. I have Sopranos 1-3 and thats by far my favorite show on TV and I can easily watch an episode of that whenever just because how good the writing is and each episode is so great like a movie.

So my question , is 24 anything like that where it offers any sort of replay? I might hold off on buying it and get a couple DVD's instead if I will only watch it once but if it's really that great of a show like Sopranos then I have no problem buying the set.
Old 03-06-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of replay value there is, since it depends on the person. I have seen season 1 in its entirety 3 times, so, for me it doesn't get old.
Old 03-06-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah ditto, the replay value really depends on how much attention you're willing to give to the show. If you're hooked like me, then season 1 will have great replay value. If you're just a casual fan or just like the show, then rental maybe a better option. I actually find certain "hours" of the season 1 to be great to watch by themselves once I saw the whole season.
Old 03-06-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by Simpson Purist
Yeah ditto, the replay value really depends on how much attention you're willing to give to the show. If you're hooked like me, then season 1 will have great replay value. If you're just a casual fan or just like the show, then rental maybe a better option. I actually find certain "hours" of the season 1 to be great to watch by themselves once I saw the whole season.
My sentiments exactly. Plus it's nice to watch while there's a three-week gap between Season Two episodes.
Old 03-06-03, 03:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
I think it has great replay value. I've already watched it through twice.
Old 03-06-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just got this the other day. I don't know if I'll watch season 1 again anytime soon (which is not a slam, but 6 discs and 16 hours is a large investment to make), but I really enjoy this show. I'm on hour 13, so I hope this half is as good as the first one.
Old 03-06-03, 05:53 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the input everyone. Decided to get it today , will start watching later tonite , can't wait
Old 03-06-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by evitagen
I just got this the other day. I don't know if I'll watch season 1 again anytime soon (which is not a slam, but 6 discs and 16 hours is a large investment to make), but I really enjoy this show. I'm on hour 13, so I hope this half is as good as the first one.
Just so you know what to expect, there's a little dip for a couple of episodes, but it picks up big time towards the end. Stick it out.
Old 03-06-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Many on the forum complained that the dip in quality happens at approx 3:50 pm
Spoiler:
when Teri gets out of a car with her daughter inside at the edge of a cliff, it goes over, explodes and Teri has amnesia for the next 3 hours.
but I didn't mind it.
Old 03-07-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
It's worth buying, taking good care of, and selling if you don't think you'll ever watch it again. (because with 6 discs, it's pretty expensive to rent anyway).
Old 03-07-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 24 Season 1 - Opinions Wanted

Originally posted by -Shibs
Ok I need a quick opinion on this set. I'm thinkin of blind buying it today. I'm not too worried about if I would like it or not because I've seen clips of it and it seems really good. My main gripe is what kind of replay it has. I have Sopranos 1-3 and thats by far my favorite show on TV and I can easily watch an episode of that whenever just because how good the writing is and each episode is so great like a movie.

So my question , is 24 anything like that where it offers any sort of replay? I might hold off on buying it and get a couple DVD's instead if I will only watch it once but if it's really that great of a show like Sopranos then I have no problem buying the set.
Make sure you pick up "The Shield". IMO, much more exciting than the Sopranos.