Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Fear & Loathing Criterion... your thoughts?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Since the thread in the main forum was more about cheap deals for the disc than the disc itself, wondering if anyone who has the "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas" Criterion edition yet (out 2/18 but numerous early sightings reported) has any thoughts on this? Early word indicates this may be one of Criterion's best efforts. Damn the luck that I have to wait another week or two before Amazon ships it!
Old 02-10-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I posted in the main thread, but I'll echo my comments here. It's a fantastic disc and movie in it's own right, but if you are a fan of HST, the movie and/or the book, it's worth it's weight in gold. Criterion lives up to it's reputation big time! Great transfer, great sound(though the dialogue seems purposely to be a tick "off" and muted in spots, though it's stylized because on the principles sound this way in frentic moments). A great commentary by Gilliam on all you could ask for regarding the production, concept, adapatation, and retrospective. I looked very much forward to the Del Toro/Depp track, since they are both such incredible performances, but I'd rate them as merely "ok". The biggest issues being the fact they were recorded separately and the fact that Laura Nabulsi is also included. I do appreciate the need for a nudge, but as usual, the producer on a track is far too intrusive as usual(I worked on the entire first and second unit of Spiderman in NYC, and based on my experience, Laura Ziskin GREATLY overestimates her contribution to the project on the spidey disc). Nabulsi has a little more to offer here, as she spent 10 years trying to get it to screen and acutally lived with HST for 5 years(I assume as lovers?) so she has some special perspective. But she reappears on hunter thompson's track, sheparding him through the track. She should have taken her own track and butt out of Depp and Del Toro's discussion. But that's a minor quibble. And avid book fans will be happy to see a few special segments of the book not filmed included as immaculate, mixed extras. Great suppliment disc, where we really get some nice perspective on HST and Oscar Zeta Acosta, the "real" Dr. Gonzo, that is a perfect coda on the project. Add to that a documentary on HST, Depp doing a spoken word reading of his correspondance with HST leading up to principal photography. I actually wonder if there could have been MORE extras, but that's probably only due to my insaitable love of and for this movie.

I will offer the caveat, I don't know if this is the best blind buy if you're not familar with the book, HST or the movie. It is a polarizing film, falling as much into the love/hate camp as any film, and the high retail price makes a rental, even of the barebones orginal, a good investment, considering the nature of the film. But if you liked this movie, it's only made better in this package.
Old 02-11-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, for what it's worth, I have I think 216 DVDs, sure in the mythical land of DVD talk that doesn't seem like a lot, but to the average Joe in the real world I'm an absolute freak. Point being that I think Fear & Loathing is now one of my top 5 maybe even top 3 favorite DVDs.

I'm a little bias since I love the movie so much & think Depp not winning an Oscar is the biggest joke ever. The DTS track is excellent & although I've seen better transfers, I don't think Gilliam's movie has ever looked better. I've haven't gotten through all the extras but Gilliam's commentary is about as informative as they get & Thompson's commentary makes the disc alone worth it. I think it's truly a must have DVD that if your a fan of the movie or not, if your a DVD fanatic you have to own it.
Old 02-16-03, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive never seen this movie, but all the buzz surrounding it and the fact that it's a criterion is turning my head too.. it will probably be a blind buy for me (quite a leap for a blind buy i take it) and since this is the review section, I was hoping someone could inform me on why this picture rates so high on the bizzare scale. Crazy, wild colors all over the screen (similar to "GO")? or just, weird in nature? if there is somewhere else i should look (this could be the wrong place to ask) please let me know.
Old 02-18-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's weird in both its story and light compositions. The cheapest way for this not to be a blind buy would be to borrow the book "Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas" from your local library.

Great book, great movie!
Old 02-19-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

read the book at 19 after the 'pot-head' at work recommended it and absolutely loved it.

never thought that it would translate well as a movie, and when i finally saw it, i hated it.

but
even though i usually have no use for extras, i'm seriously considering buying this just for the supplemental stuff.
after the rave review on dvdfile and here, my interest is seriously piqued.
sounds like a wonderfully comprehensive package.
Old 02-19-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 50-minute BBC documentary on Thompson from 78 or 80 (?) was almost worth the upgrade itself. It was great to actually see him talking about & acting like his alter ego Raoul Duke. Plus he does drugs on camera & acts like a maniac in his car (doing something to a belt from the sound of it). Excellent! Plus, part of a new documentary on HST where he visits the set! This is the first disc in quite a while that I've actually watched & enjoyed all the extras.
Old 02-19-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i only have about 135 dvds but this may be one of my favorites. first, the idea and story of the movie is brilliant. the picture is awesome and the dts track is near perfect (only problem i found could have been a little brightness in the center channel...but that could be my equipment?).

HST's commentary is hilarious and off the wall...just what i was hoping for.

I loved it. 9.5/10
Old 02-21-03, 03:42 PM

Possibly my favorite book of all time, certainly in the top 5. It was originally published in Rolling Stone complete with Ralph Steadmans stunning artwork in 2 or 3 colors. I think the film is the second or third attempt to make it into a move. Sorry but to me it doesn't come close.

Maybe I'm being unfair. It may be that the only way I'd be satified would be to see an animated version by Ralph Steadman. Those illustrations are such an important part of the book, that's how my imagination "see's" it when I read .

I hope everyone here reads the book and if you do, make sure that you get a copy with Steadman's artwork included, it's incredible.
Old 02-21-03, 04:34 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I've never read the book, but I absolutely love this film. Probably in my top ten. The Criterion disc is definitely an absolute MUST for anyone who loves this movie. Criterion really did a great job of getting special features that were above average.
Old 04-03-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Never read the book , so I can't judge it by the book. However, by a film, it is one of the greatest films . I bought it on a blind buy and have since watched it countless times. Gilliam's direction was great and Depp's performance was simply outstanding. Oh and Diaz is yummy..
Old 04-03-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read the book a couple of months before I bought the disk (original Universal release) and thought the movie covered the book pretty well. A couple of funny bits from the book seemed kinda rushed in the film due to time constriants, but I can't think of anything important that was left out.
Old 04-07-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would have to agree with alot of the people on the board, and say this is the best dvd that has been released so far this year. I would probably place it in my top 2 or 3 in my collection.
Old 04-10-03, 01:28 PM

I just picked this sucker up, and I am so happy with this DVD. It's probalby one of the best Criterion discs I own and by far one of the best 2-disc sets I've seen in a long time.
Old 04-10-03, 03:30 PM

Love this disc and it is one of the best criterion has released, most of the Gilliam titles have been great. The only problem I have with it is on the commentary with, Humter S. Thompson, why does he keep making strange noises for no apparent reason.
Old 04-10-03, 07:28 PM
Banned

HAS TO HAVE ONE OF THE COOLEST STARTING MENUS (on disc 1) I HAVE EVER SEEN. CHECK THAT MOFO OUT!!!!!!.
Old 08-27-04, 01:27 AM

This is a friggin sweet DVD, I actually just wanted to post my thoughts on the disc

Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas: Criterion Collection @ DVDork.com