Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Any Opinions on The Last Temptation of Christ: CC?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Any Opinions on The Last Temptation of Christ: CC?

Old 04-02-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Scot1458
Even after you said all that, you still did not answer the question. Show me in all of the Bible where Jesus was tempted by woman....anywhere. (snip)
Grrr. No one has suggested the temptation as portrayed derives from the Bible; it clearly does not. Kazantzakis’s novel, on which the movie is based, is a work of fiction that explores a hypothetical scenario—much like the approach taken by Peter Shaffer in Amadeus, who created a believable history based on the premise: what if Salieri killed Mozart? To view either Scorsese’s movie or Kazantzakis’s novel as anything other than fiction is inappropriate.

Yet Marty shows Jesus as he did, which was ONLY done to ignite, offend, and create controversey.
WRT to Scorsese’s intent to ignite, offend, and create controversey the movie is a fairly faithful (no pun intended) adaptation of the novel. Scorsese is Catholic (he considered becoming a priest at one time); while I can not peer into his heart to divine his intent, he has stated that his goal was other than what you suggest.

And using Luther's works from the 17th Century as evidence of what consists of "banned" books is intellecutally dishonest. Talk of the statue of limitations!
First of all reformation took place in the 16th century. The Church has a long history of banning books; I used Luther and Calvin as examples since these writings are integral to Protestant thought and to highlight that Protestants and Catholics disagree on any number of fundamental questions. Catholicism is not just Protestantism with the pope; the differences between the two are significant. I also wanted to acknowledge that the Church opposed Kazantzakis’s novel. There is nothing dishonest about the example.

Obviously, you are free to believe what ever you wish. Debating religion is pointless. However, you seem intent to view Last Temptation thru the filter of Protestantism rather than the body of Catholic thought that inspired the novel.
Old 04-02-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mhmurray
Why do so many think this movie had a message at all? It was a movie, and nothing more. The last time I checked the yellow pages, I couldn't find Hogwarts anywhere.

This movie, to me, was nothing more than entertainment, much like Howard Stern's show. (snip)
WADR I think a fair number of directors and critics would disagree. For example in 1995, the Los Angeles Times asked Kieslowski how movies should participate in culture; he replied: "Film is often just business -- I understand that and it's not something I concern myself with. But if film aspires to be part of culture, it should do the things great literature, music and art do: elevate the spirit, help us understand ourselves and the world around us and give people the feeling they are not alone."
Old 04-02-03, 01:05 PM
Cool New Member

While I agree that Last Temptation is probably most profitably evaluated in terms of the Catholic rather than Protestant tradition, it is worth noting that the novelist (Kazantzakis) was Greek Orthodox, the director (Scorcese) is Catholic, the screenwriter (Schrader) is a Calvinistic Protestant, and the lead actors (Keitel and Dafoe) are respectively Jewish and agnostic. I think that this variety of voices is one of the things that makes this movie so deep and rewarding.

ficta
Old 04-02-03, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by audrey
WADR I think a fair number of directors and critics would disagree. For example in 1995, the Los Angeles Times asked Kieslowski how movies should participate in culture; he replied: "Film is often just business -- I understand that and it's not something I concern myself with. But if film aspires to be part of culture, it should do the things great literature, music and art do: elevate the spirit, help us understand ourselves and the world around us and give people the feeling they are not alone."
I do agree with the statement that film is often just business. That was part of my point. But I'm at a loss at what point you were trying to make with the rest of the paragraph. Scorsese himself said the movie was a parable: "metaphor or simile drawn from everyday life, the meaning of which is sufficiently in doubt to tease the mind into active thought"

I read that to mean that Scorsese set out to f%%k with people's heads and leave everyone with a "what if" afterthought.
Old 04-02-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mhmurray
But I'm at a loss at what point you were trying to make with the rest of the paragraph. Scorsese himself said the movie was a parable: "metaphor or simile drawn from everyday life, the meaning of which is sufficiently in doubt to tease the mind into active thought"
Well now I’m confused. I interpreted your prior comments to mean that movies serve no value or higher purpose beyond pure entertainment—is that not what you intended? I provided the Kieslowski quote simply to show that some filmmakers do strive for more complex goals. And you essentially acknowledged as much with the parable quote; if the flick is intended as a metaphor or to make people think, then it is clearly attempting something beyond mere entertainment.

Obviously some movies are pure entertainment; there’s nothing wrong w/ that. But I don’t think LT falls into this category. Anyway, it’s not worth splitting hairs over.
Old 04-02-03, 05:31 PM

Location: I'm in a state (state)...of confusion (woah-oh-uh-oh)
Originally posted by audrey
(and let’s not forget this is a work of fiction)
I think thats what most people forget.

I wanted to stay out of this discussion as it feels like I've have it 30 times already, but I wanted to commend Audrey on what she wrote and how eloquently she wrote it.

All I'll say (not to get tied up into this) is that I really enjoyed watching the more human side of Jesus as portrayed here, esp. at the wedding. I tend to believe Jesus was not as cardboard and stiff as many think.

Anyway, talking about this film is good, and debate is good...keep it civil and to the point.

edited for spelling
Old 03-03-11, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Any Opinions on The Last Temptation of Christ: CC?

I just saw this movie and kind of liked it.

Spoiler:

The scene when he prays to God alone was pretty sad. Moments like those put a very interesting spin on this story, but other parts of the movie felt almost campy.

Harvey Keitel as Judas really killed it for me. I could eventually buy Dafoe as Jesus becuase it was a really different performance. But I couldn't forget that I'm watching Keitel with his NY accent.

The scenes earlier on between Jesus and Mary Magdelene weren't very good either. It seemed like two people rehearsing rather than just acting.

One thing I really disliked was the ending. I mean, Jesus got to feel what it was like to live a normal life, and only after that normal life was about to end did he want to go back on the cross. Kinds of defeats the purpose of rejecting the temptation if he got to experience the temptation.

I think it would have been more poignant if he had rejected his alternate life in the middle of being happy, or at the beginning.

Still a good movie, and much, much better than The Passion.

Old 03-03-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow! You resurrected (pun intended) an old thread! I would love to hear this being released on Blu-ray soon!
Old 03-03-11, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhmurray
Yeah, but Spock got to have Pan Phar every 7 years
8 years coming..... Pon Farr.
Old 03-09-11, 11:51 PM
Banned

It's an amazing movie. I don't get why people get so up in arms about this. There's a movie about the first video rental shop in Saint Louis. The owners were attacked because they refused to take this movie off the shelves. Last Temptation, with the exception of Harvey Keitel, is incredible. In the BIBLE, there is the story about how Jesus didn't want to go through with what he knew was going to happen, but he did because he knew it had to happen. He does the same thing in the movie, but suddenly people have a problem with it. Doesn't make sense. In the BIBLE, the devil tempts Jesus to follow him and forget who he really is. People are fine with that. But Jesus gets tempted in the movie, and people have a problem with it. Sure, the story in the movie wasn't in the BIBLE. It was just a sort of "what if..." story. Just another way Jesus "could have" been tempted. Everyone should see this movie. Even if they aren't particularly religious, it is still an amazing movie.
Old 03-10-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
In the BIBLE, there is the story about how Jesus didn't want to go through with what he knew was going to happen, but he did because he knew it had to happen. He does the same thing in the movie, but suddenly people have a problem with it. Doesn't make sense. In the BIBLE, the devil tempts Jesus to follow him and forget who he really is. People are fine with that. But Jesus gets tempted in the movie, and people have a problem with it.
In my experience, the people who most virulently thump on the Bible only actually read the portions that tell them what they want to hear or believe.
Old 03-13-11, 04:08 PM
Banned

Awesome film and Criterion Collection release!
Old 03-15-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Sure, the story in the movie wasn't in the BIBLE. It was just a sort of "what if..." story. Just another way Jesus "could have" been tempted. Everyone should see this movie. Even if they aren't particularly religious, it is still an amazing movie.
I can see why it was controversial. Having Jesus making crosses for the Romans, helping them nail down Jews, having Jesus watching Mary Magdalene having sex with customers, seeing Jesus tempted by a cobra talking about breasts, seeing Jesus have more than one wife, Judas being the hero, etc.

But still, yes, it's only a movie, and they should simply not give money to a store if they dislike the product.