Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wtd: Sorority boys

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-02, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review wtd: Sorority boys

OK...how was this movie? How's the disc? Is it as lame as it looks? Are the guys good looking, at least??

THX
Old 10-17-02, 08:42 PM

This was one of the worst reviewed movies of all time! I think it got about 95% negative reviews from Rotten Tomatos.

However, if you're willing to suspend disbelief (i.e. why doesn't anyone recognize these are guys in drag?), it's a really funny film. My perspective may have been skewed since I saw heavy drama "Monster's Ball" first.

Still, the friend I saw it with could tell it I was having a lot of fun since I was laughing out loud. The conclusion (along with a lot of the jokes) is entirely predictable, but the message it sends about physical beauty and the golden rule is well-executed, IMO.
Old 10-17-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i thought the movie had some funny scenes. though i think most of them were in the trailer. I wouldn't recommend buying it blindly, definately a movie to rent first.
Old 10-24-02, 02:41 AM

i found this movie to be very un-entertaining. Although it did have some funny scenes, there are so many other movies out there (i.e. Van Wilder, American Pie, The Jersey Trilogy) that are far more humorous and much mroe well done that this movie is definately not something to pick up.

P.S. The extras were not great either.
Old 10-27-02, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I found this movie to be more enjoyable than I was predicting it to be. The reviews at rotten tomatoes are all from movie critics, and who cares what critics think? They also tear apart good Adam Sandler movies. Not that Sorority Boys is on par with a great Sandler comedy, but I do think it's better than they make it out to be. Of course, I would have rather seen Bosom Buddies on DVD instead of this, but that's for another thread.

To me the best reason to own this DVD is Michael Rosembaum, who also plays Lex Luthor on Smallville. I think that guy has what it takes to be a serious actor of top billing in the future, and here he is acting completely different in a comedy role, and in drag to boot! Maybe he's just trying to follow in Tom Hank's footsteps!
Old 10-29-02, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. It's not PG13, so we get some good old-fashioned raunchiness and nudity, and Harland Williams is just awesome in this!

-"It's...bubblegum."

-"What flavor? Big Juicy Cock?"