DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   Are the Follwing Concert DVDs Worth Getting? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/230006-follwing-concert-dvds-worth-getting.html)

jeffhhsu 08-16-02 01:53 AM

Are the Follwing Concert DVDs Worth Getting?

Depeche Mode: One Night in Paris
Bruce Springsteen: Live in NYC with the E Street Band
Concert for New York City

bossfan 08-16-02 11:05 PM

If you are a Springsteen fan then LINYC is a must own DVD.

Saxofonix 08-18-02 02:39 PM

The Springsteen concert is essential.

I was disappointed with the Depeche Mode concert DVD though. Gahan's voice sounded strained and the band simply didn't sound as strong or full as they do in concert. It was as if the band was going through the motions as well. It's not bad .. it's just .. not all that impressive. But I have to say .. this DVD received a glowing review on DVD Talk. Sooo .. who knows.

rabdalas 08-21-02 12:59 AM

To echo everyone else...GET BRUCE! One of my very fave music DVDs.

I keep saying I'm getting the Concert for NYC, buy iy just keeps getting pushed back.

JLB 08-21-02 08:31 AM

The Bruce is awesome. I wish it was one sequential show, but that's ok by me....It is a great DVD.....I even had a chance to see a DVHS recording of it in 1080i and that was even better, but the DVD sure is great.

I borrowed the Concert for NYC from a friend. That is great too.

My most recent purchase was Symphinc Yes Tour. If you like Yes, this is a must own DVD. Their best DVD yet.

nightliner 08-27-02 05:18 AM

I echo the recommendation for the Symphonic Yes dvd. One of, if not the best concert dvd I own.

jeffhhsu 08-27-02 09:23 PM

anyone else who's seen Depeche Mode's disc?

So far, it's just one review/opinion of that disc. And it's negative. I'd like to hear more before I make up my mind. Thanks!

bigE 08-29-02 06:24 AM

The 3 most recent concert dvds I got & would HIGHLY recommend:
<b>The Who - Live At Royal Albert Hall
Neil Finn & Friends- Seven Worlds Collide
U2 - Elevation Tour</b>

jeffhhsu 08-29-02 07:59 PM

Oh, you bet your a$$ I'm getting Elevation! I'm a big U2 fan.

tommyp007 09-02-02 10:40 PM

BRUUUUUCE!!!!!!

yeah, great dvd

Chrisedge 09-04-02 09:59 AM

Huge U2 fan here, and I recommend the Depeche Mode show(Better shot than the Elevation show)

Anton Corbijn (Photographer for both DM and U2) shot the DM video and didn't go crazy with the constant cutting like the U2 one. I WISH U2 had used him. Plus the extras are better than the U2 one. My wife is the huge DM fan and she loved the DM DVD, so I say go for it. Plus it looks great and I thought it sounded great too. Hope that helps...

Jack Straw 09-07-02 12:51 PM

Originally posted by nightliner
I echo the recommendation for the Symphonic Yes dvd. One of, if not the best concert dvd I own.
I wathced this last night and was very happy. I am a big fan of "Relayer" and the performance of "Gates of Delerium" was wonderful to see. I would also recommend the Live at the HOB DVD as well. It's in the same ballpark in terms of quality video and sound, but not DTS from what I recall.

I did feel that the orchestra was a bit muted in the mix overall. Also during Steve's acoustic piece, there seemed to be noise coming from the front left channel, which I'm sure was not originating from my system. It cleared up when the band went electric again.

typecase 09-09-02 09:52 PM

I would second a recommendation on the U2 Elevation disc. Really love it. Like being back at the show ... almost.

JLB 09-10-02 02:22 PM

Just to further my thoughts on the Symphonic Yes....I saw clips of one of the other Yes concerts (not sure which one) on a D-VHS demo tape. The performance was not nearly as good as on SY. Great performances, great sound, great Video (except of course for Squire's sense of fashion, or lack thereof). A great all around DVD.

Indy_Cable 09-15-02 10:34 PM

I would highly recommend ACDC's "stiff upper lip" DVD. It is awesome. Anamorphic widescreen and DTS sound. There is like 23 songs on this disc. The U2 Elevation DVD is very good. I have to put ACDC's at the top of the list for sound and picture quality.

wordtoyamotha 09-16-02 12:01 PM

I will second the AC/DC Stiff Upper Lip nomination. Great quality, great sound. Also, Weird Al Live is a very good dvd if that's your thing.

chess 09-18-02 12:24 PM

talking heads: stop making sense
pearl jam: touring band 2000

Indy_Cable 09-18-02 01:52 PM

Another excellent concert DVD is Alice In Chains Unplugged. It's only a 4:3 picture. But the video is pretty good. The sound however is very good. It's DD 5.1 and good enough to be demo quality. Anyone who enjoys excellent acoustic music should give it a try. One of my favorites.

Giles 09-18-02 02:29 PM

Originally posted by JLB

My most recent purchase was Symphinc Yes Tour. If you like Yes, this is a must own DVD. Their best DVD yet.

The other day when I was at Best Buy someone must have inadvertantly pushed the repeat button on the DVD player, that was transmitting this video to at least 25 different tv's By the tenth repeat of "Owner of the Lonely Heart" I was ready to flee the Best Buy in terror.

heavywear 09-23-02 05:18 PM

waiting on the new dave matthews DVD myself. I forget the name but the preview dvd was in his new 'busted stuff' CD. looked great!

Saxofonix 09-24-02 01:19 PM

Up there with the best / most favourite of concert DVDs, for me, is;
Travis - More THan Us (live in Glascow)

If you already love this band, this DVD is essential. The songs gain an epic quality in live playing that is missing on the studio albums which are subdued in comparison. If you don't know this band .. it is well worth checking out.