Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: The Poseiden Adventure & The Towering Inferno

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-11-02, 01:13 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I generally enjoy disaster films.. I hear these are two of the greatest disaster films ever.. Is that true? I'll probably pick them up blind if their DVDs are good enough..

So what's your opinion on the film and DVDs of The Towering Inferno as well as The Poseidon Adventure?
Old 08-11-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you heard right!
both are great 'popcorn' thriller/adventure movies
and the casts... oh man.

Paul Newman,Steve McQueen, Bill Holden, Fred Astaire- this isn't Love Boat caliber cameos, these guys are/were huge stars for a reason.

and then on the PA side you have Gene Hackman surrounded by excellant support from mostly seasoned character actors.

i can't go on enough about these two.
very solid, involving movies, with more or less witty, literate scripts (at least compared to the megaplex swill of the last 20 years).

i can't wait for these to get the 5 star treatment.
although PA looks damn good for a non-anamorphic disc ( up to Planet of the Apes ('68) quality i would say).
TI fares a little worse, but by no means unwatchable at all on a smaller screen.

i saw (and picked up) Posideon at CC for $10.
well worth it.
Old 08-12-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
Can't beat Steve McQueen and Gene Hackman as disaster movie heros.
Old 08-12-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have TI and what I like about it is the slow buildup....there is a lot of dialogue between the characters setting up who they are, demonstrating personality traits etc. that come to light quite evidently when all hell breaks loose during the fire.

IMHO, you have to appreciate a classic that focuses on not only the action scenes and rah rah rah heroics but creates tension through character development and conflict that actively draws the watcher into the fracas.

There have been rumors of an SE disc for a year or so...I can only imagine what good content on this film they could add via commentaries and actor interviews if they chose to do so.....
Old 08-12-02, 06:37 PM
Banned

The Poseiden Adventure is terrific and Gene Hackman is always awesome. The Towering Inferno blows...one of the worst Best Picture nominees ever.