Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review: Pure 80's The DVD

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-02, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: Pure 80's The DVD

‘80s pop fans will be happy to learn that Universal quietly released the imaginatively titled “Pure ‘80s – The DVD” earlier this month. I happened to come across a promo copy while in Tampa this week; otherwise I wouldn’t have known it was available. It features the following 14 videos:

1) The Buggles – Video Killed The Radio Star
2) ABC – The Look Of Love
3) Tears For Fears – Shout
4) Big Country – In A Big Country
5) Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Come On Eileen
6) Dan Hartman – I Can Dream About You
7) Asia – Heat Of The Moment
8) Night Ranger – Sister Christian
9) Swing Out Sister – Breakout
10) Animotion – Obsession
11) Berlin – No More Words
12) Level 42 – Something About You
13) Squeeze – Tempted
14) Tears For Fears – Everybody Wants To Rule The World

The quality is excellent for the most part, considering that most of the videos were filmed on an extremely low budget and were never intended for high-resolution viewing. “Come On Eileen” is a particular stand out; the colors are much more vibrant than I remembered. The soundtrack is Dolby 2.0, with no surround option. No extras, either.

The track selection isn’t perfect, but my only real complaint would be over Universal’s decision to include two videos (“In A Big Country” and “Shout”) that MTV already used for their Pop compilation DVD released last year. They should have realized that many of the people who would be interested in the Pure 80s collection already own the MTV disc. Regardless, this is definitely the best DVD collection of 80s videos on the market at this time, and is highly recommended for fans of that era.

Last edited by fsubruce; 06-29-02 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-05-02, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Strangely this has both a 2-channel (compressed) Dolby soundtrack AND an uncompressed PCM track.