Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

I am dying to see "Amelie"!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-02, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am so anticipated to see that movie "Amelie". That movie looks so amazing and everytime I see the poster art or dvd cover of that movie, the more I want to see it. It sucks that we have to wait 'til August for the DVD.
Old 05-31-02, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will not be disappointed. The feel good movie of the year.
Old 05-31-02, 09:41 PM
Banned

Nice review!
Old 05-31-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Good strong beginning but the movie loses its message half-way through. Or that is, it is revealed that its message is not that interesting.

Still in my book.
Old 06-01-02, 12:31 AM

I finally got to see Amelie last week. I work in a video store and we were sent an advance screener copy. I had heard so many great reviews about it that I thought I might be disappointed but I loved it! I will definitely be getting the DVD.
Old 06-01-02, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

isn't it coming out july 16th? what's this august talk?

by the way, anyone know if it's been confirmed that it will be a 2-disc set and that it'll have a dts track? it was rumoured a while ago that it would, and the packaging certainly looks flashy enough to be a 2-disc set.. but i haven't heard it being confirmed.. only that it's listed with dts and as 2 discs on amazon.. but they are hardly reliable.
Old 06-01-02, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Girzzly: It will definitely be a 2-discer from what I remember.

But why does it need DTS? I mean DTS is great and all but what in Amelie really requires DTS? I understand the latest Bruckheimer movie and any war films needing DTS, but does a dialogue-driven film need it?
Old 06-01-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: I am dying to see "Amelie"!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Guitar_God
I am so anticipated to see that movie "Amelie". That movie looks so amazing and everytime I see the poster art or dvd cover of that movie, the more I want to see it. It sucks that we have to wait 'til August for the DVD.
As far as I know the release date for Amelie is still July 16. (I have to wait until August 6 because I ordered it with LOTR from Amazon).

If you cannot wait until then, you could always check out the dvd of Happenstance, a similarly themed film starring the same actress, Audrey Tatou. I haven't watched my dvd yet, but I saw it in theaters. It was good, but not as good as Amelie. I still think it is worth checking out.
Old 06-01-02, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the R2 version and although it's well worth seeing, it's definitely a bit overhyped. Still, it's worth a purchase....
Old 06-02-02, 08:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for your recommendations everyone. I'll definitely blind buy this when this come out on DVD.
Old 06-02-02, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by The Bus
But why does it need DTS? I mean DTS is great and all but what in Amelie really requires DTS? I understand the latest Bruckheimer movie and any war films needing DTS, but does a dialogue-driven film need it?
because it's for the most part clearer and better.. and if they are doing a 2-disc set with nothing but a dolby digital 5.1 track on the first disc then they should damn well include a dts track as well.

i mean, heck.. it may not be a war film but it was nominated for best sound at the Oscars.
Old 06-04-02, 03:41 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Amelie's an OK movie, but you can wait. It's really pretty superficial if you ask me. Considering all the really good films that are around I think it's sad that a movie like Amelie gets so much press.
Old 06-04-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by The Bus
This was hardly a dialogue-driven movie. Juenet's films all have terrific sound designs.
Old 06-05-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by wendersfan
Amelie's an OK movie, but you can wait. It's really pretty superficial if you ask me. Considering all the really good films that are around I think it's sad that a movie like Amelie gets so much press.
What other really good films that are around? I'd like to know what movies you think are better that aren't getting equal or better attention/press.
Old 08-27-02, 10:35 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Daytripper

What other really good films that are around? I'd like to know what movies you think are better that aren't getting equal or better attention/press.
Sorry I'm so late answering your question. Anyway, recent films I think are better than Amelie:

Monsoon Wedding
The Piano Teacher
Time Out
What Time Is It There?