Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

From Hell-good blind purchase???

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

From Hell-good blind purchase???

Old 05-15-02, 07:10 AM
  #26  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,916
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: RANDOM REVIEW THOUGHTS:

Originally posted by Abob Teff
I was hoping for another "Sleepy Hollow"
I wasn't --- I found that movie dreadful. Nice funny visuals but it just didn't have that... that thing that makes a movie special to me.


Mind you, I will get it when I get a WS TV because it is still a movie I would watch (especially with its glorious photography), but it's not going to rank into my top DVD lists.
Old 05-16-02, 01:12 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,302
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really liked this film (bought as a blind purchase). The visuals were very good as was Depp. The funny thing is that the conclusions made were quite possible. In fact, put together the way they were the assumptions add a somewhat new dimension to the entire "Ripper" case.

As for the deleted scenes........I agree that they should have been cut from the film.

Good effort.

Old 05-16-02, 09:19 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Mouthweathercity, IL.
Posts: 3,521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a flat blind purchase, because it is too clean.

I give the film 6/10.

I was very disappointed from seeing this film, because it had a much larger budget than any of Argento's films and his slasher films are still better even if they are 20 years old. Why do I say this? Well, first of all Heather Graham was way too pale and clean for a person living during this time. I bet she used Aveda to shampoo her hair even while showering under the running water. This was a detail that annoyed me so much, and thinking of the budget that they had they could have hired a make-up artist to make her look a little dirtier. She cut through the screen like a knife that is how clean she was. In addition, she was way to pale for a person of her stature in society, she would have spend more time outside and therefore had a slight tan, not pale like a ghost. Her red hair was beautiful, I mean so beautiful that it would make today's photomodels claw her of envy. O'dear, more dirt please, I blame the art director who was Mark Raggett who also art directed Quills, Portrait of a Lady, and who supervised Shakespear in Love. This was just too clean, and that really took away from the reality feel that was needed in order to feel the terror of Jack the Ripper. (HUGE minus)

Nevertheless, nice cinematography, and good acting. Great cast as well.

Notice, I have not even touched adaptation of Jack the Ripper. I viewed it as a free adaptation, since we still today do not really know. A little sad that we never got to feel the horror that Jack the Ripper spread in London during this time.

Comments please.

DVD SMURF

Last edited by DVD Smurf; 05-16-02 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-17-02, 08:14 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Pointyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Formerly known as "12thmonkey"/Frankfort, IL
Posts: 7,790
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Other than awkwardly casting Heather Graham as a street whore, I thought From Hell was very well done.


My review
Old 05-17-02, 02:30 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,302
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 12thmonkey
Other than awkwardly casting Heather Graham as a street whore, I thought From Hell was very well done.


My review
I agree........But then again, I don't think Heather Graham is all that much of an actress no matter what the role
Old 05-17-02, 02:32 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Pointyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Formerly known as "12thmonkey"/Frankfort, IL
Posts: 7,790
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by Vampyr


I agree........But then again, I don't think Heather Graham is all that much of an actress no matter what the role
She might not be a world-class thespian, but she's purty...
Old 05-17-02, 02:42 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,302
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 12thmonkey


She might not be a world-class thespian, but she's purty...
Yup......Enough so to make her rich too
Old 05-17-02, 07:27 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,647
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DVD Smurf
This is a flat blind purchase, because it is too clean.

I give the film 6/10.

I was very disappointed from seeing this film, because it had a much larger budget than any of Argento's films and his slasher films are still better even if they are 20 years old. Why do I say this? Well, first of all Heather Graham was way too pale and clean for a person living during this time. I bet she used Aveda to shampoo her hair even while showering under the running water. This was a detail that annoyed me so much, and thinking of the budget that they had they could have hired a make-up artist to make her look a little dirtier. She cut through the screen like a knife that is how clean she was. In addition, she was way to pale for a person of her stature in society, she would have spend more time outside and therefore had a slight tan, not pale like a ghost. Her red hair was beautiful, I mean so beautiful that it would make today's photomodels claw her of envy. O'dear, more dirt please, I blame the art director who was Mark Raggett who also art directed Quills, Portrait of a Lady, and who supervised Shakespear in Love. This was just too clean, and that really took away from the reality feel that was needed in order to feel the terror of Jack the Ripper. (HUGE minus)

Nevertheless, nice cinematography, and good acting. Great cast as well.

Notice, I have not even touched adaptation of Jack the Ripper. I viewed it as a free adaptation, since we still today do not really know. A little sad that we never got to feel the horror that Jack the Ripper spread in London during this time.

Comments please.

DVD SMURF
1) this is London during the industrial revolution.
yes, i agree she should have been much diriter. she was way too much of a beauty to be realistic. her nice set of chompers alone, make her icongrous with her surroundings.
but as far as being pale, like i said, its industrial London, which means, when its not overcast or raining there's probably a thick haze of soot in the air, obscuring the sun. this isn't the French Riveria and being a street walker, she wouldn't be out sunning herself during the day anyway.
pale is proper, clean and beautiful, probably not.

2) i rate the movie a little higher than you did.
for one thing, this film looked absolutely amazing on my dlp. considering all the problems this transfer could have had because of the dark hazy scenes, i was so impressed that i gave short shrift to its drawbacks.
and i have to admit, i loved the speculative answer to the mystery of Jack, and loved the performances of all the supporting characters.
Ian Holm, who played the royal familys doctor, was just fantastic.
i'm appreciating him more and more, every time i see him.
stylish, without being too gimicky, interesting, with some concentrated, visceral gore scenes, and a story that had a good resolution.
add to this a reference quality transfer and soundtrack and it adds up to one of the better blind purchases i've made since i got into this format.

Last edited by ckolchak; 05-17-02 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-17-02, 07:37 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Mouthweathercity, IL.
Posts: 3,521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ckolchak


1) this is London during the industrial revolution.
yes, i agree she should have been much diriter. she was way too much of a beauty to be realistic. her nice set of chompers alone, make her icongrous with her surroundings.
but as far as being pale, like i said, its industrial London, which means, when its not overcast or raining there's probably a thick haze of soot in the air, obscuring the sun. this isn't the French Riveria and being a street walker, she wouldn't be out sunning herself during the day anyway.
pale is proper, clean and beautiful, probably not.
The UV-beams that comes from the sun penerates clouds and the haze you are mentioning. In addition, if the UV-beams did not penetrate the haze and clouds then would the human beings die in larger numbers from multiple illness caused by environmental abuse. Moreover, you are also right about the industrial revolution, however, it was not as industrialized as it is today. However, I did enjoy your reply, it makes me think, which I love.

Cheers,

DVD SMURF
Old 05-18-02, 11:38 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Hawkeye State
Posts: 336
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote from DVD Smurf:
The UV-beams that comes from the sun penerates clouds and the haze you are mentioning. In addition, if the UV-beams did not penetrate the haze and clouds then would the human beings die in larger numbers from multiple illness caused by environmental abuse. Moreover, you are also right about the industrial revolution, however, it was not as industrialized as it is today. However, I did enjoy your reply, it makes me think, which I love.
She has red hair - she's light skinned - she's pale. Whether the UV-beams are penerating or penetrating probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I think she looks so clean because the UV-beams are reflecting off her red hair thus creating the illusion of cleanliness. This also, of course, has an effect on her teeth. Something to do with the UV-beams, the red hair, and the fact that she has lots of sex. Yeah, yeah that's the ticket.
Old 05-24-02, 05:55 AM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 732
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heather Graham has the worst English accent I've ever heard.
Johnny Depp's is pretty poor also (And I'm usually a big fan of his)
This movie was slow and boring.
Old 05-27-02, 04:47 PM
  #37  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: bay area, calif.
Posts: 238
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great movie, pick it up!
Old 05-30-02, 12:57 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
nycdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 1,575
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just could not get into it.


This blind purchase is going to be traded or sold off.
Old 05-31-02, 03:39 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 11,306
Received 287 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z


I guess I don't require a movie like this to "engage the soul", whatever that is supposed to mean.

The movie is smart, fun, and surprisingly literate. I enjoyed it greatly. If you found it boring, to each their own.
I agree with you Josh. This DVD was a blind purchase for me and I loved it. A few friends have borrowed it and they gave it a thumbs up too. I also thought the movie was fun (and stylish). And didn't find anything boring about it.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.