Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Donnie Darko

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-02, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great movie. i wish i knew where to get an original movie poster for it.
Old 04-03-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rubix
great movie. i wish i knew where to get an original movie poster for it.
I checked allposters.com for you and they said it was "no longer available". However, this may tide you over until you can find an original:

<url>http://movieweb.com/movie/donniedarko/poster.jpg<url>
Old 04-03-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by boc4ever

<url>http://movieweb.com/movie/donniedarko/poster.jpg<url>
now it's my new wallpaper...

Does anyone (lkelly?) if Gary Jules has recorded any other songs. His version of Mad World gives me friggin' goosebumps.
Old 04-03-02, 01:35 PM

Gary Jules

I have his most recent album. I don't remember if he has others available, but you can find the latest here:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/garyjules
Old 07-26-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Gary Jules

Originally posted by lkelly
I have his most recent album. I don't remember if he has others available, but you can find the latest here:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/garyjules
...and that's about the only place you can buy it. it's truly an independant release. CDNow doesn't even have it in their database. it's called "trading snake oil for wolftickets". he has an earlier CD out that's more widely available.

$14 + 2.25 shipping = the most i've paid for a CD in a LONG time.

if you just want Mad World, you can pick up the Donnie Darko soundtrack for less. myself, i wanted to check this guy out. thanks for the link.

back on topic: Donnie Darko has found a place in my top-20 or so. excellent excellent film. i haven't been this "sucked into" a movie since Fight Club.

Also very solid DVD treatment for a film with such a modest budget. 2 good commentaries, 20-something deleted scenes, the Mad World music video, an overview of the website, trailers and TV spots, and more.
Old 06-19-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A little late to the show here, but I just rented this movie thanks to the honorable mentions in this forum. All I can say is "wow", it was great, and I'm still mulling it over in my head. Perhaps I'm trying to read too much into it, but definitely gets you thinking and trying to match up the plot events. My wife equally enjoyed it, and we also had much to discuss afterwards.
Typically, it takes me 2 evenings to watch a movie after putting my daughter to bed, but I just couldn't turn this one off.

My rating:
Old 06-19-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 352 Likes on 229 Posts
I loved this movie and it's on my to buy list (which, alas, gets smaller and smaller as I get more realistic about my budget.) I thought it was ***1/2 out of 4 stars--not my favorite movie ever, but definately one in a hundred.

tasha

Last edited by tasha99; 06-20-03 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-20-03, 08:51 AM

The movie was okay. Rent before buying this one.
Old 06-20-03, 01:36 PM

People are saying whether or not they recommend the film so I will add in my two cents. Do see the film if you want an intelligent, well acted film. Don't see the film if you went to see Dumb and Dumberer or 2 Fast 2 Furious.

It's that simple !
Old 06-21-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Excellent, well thought out, well done film. The fact that it was made for (I believe) 4 million dollars stunned me. It looks quite better than that, and the acting is top-notch.

That said, the only thing I have negative to say is that the whole
Spoiler:
time traveling/alternate paths
could have been revealed a bit more to the audience without dumbing down the movie at all. I enjoyed reading more about it, but a little more explanation in that department would have been perfect.

3.95 out of 4
Old 06-21-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I attended a theatrical viewing of this film last night which had the director, Richard Kelly, in attendance. In this thread are my recollection of the Q&A session that Kelly had after the film:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=300304
Old 06-23-03, 09:51 AM

This movie really was poorly directed/edited. The performances and such were fine enough, but there were too many questions left unanswered at the end (like what the entire movie was about). You have to read a book and/or watch the extras just to find out what the plot in the movie was. You should be able to figure out everything just from watching the movie, even if you have to watch it repeatedly. That's just not possible since they never tell you exactly whats in the philosophy book or even hint about why stuff is happening the way it is. Had they put the clues in the movie for you to actually be able to decipher the ending I'd have given it high marks, but they didn't. Also, the attempts at creating debate about science vs. religion were really obvious yet not scripted well enough to have any real effect. In fact most of the script should have been looked at considering how complicated the rules of that universe are going by that philosophy book they mention.
Old 06-23-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by C Roberts
This movie really was poorly directed/edited.

I guess we didn't see the same movie....
Old 06-23-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by C Roberts
You should be able to figure out everything just from watching the movie, even if you have to watch it repeatedly.
Some movies don't give easy answers. Heaven forbid you should have to think about what you watched!
Old 06-23-03, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
Some movies don't give easy answers. Heaven forbid you should have to think about what you watched!
Upset that I speak the truth? LOL

Nowhere in the movie do they explain the physics of the universe that the movie takes place in. They don't mention artifacts, tangent universes, living recievers, manipulated living and dead, water and metal in time travel, etc..
How did you figure this stuff out? You must be pretty smart to have done it without reading that book, because I watched it with two Mensa members and they were clueless as to what was supposed to have happened in the movie. What dialogue led you to understand that Donnie's teacher was manipulated living and that's why she acted that way? Where is it alluded to that Donnie has powers only because he was closest to the artifact entry?

I admit that the movie plot is mostly fine if you use all the extras on the DVD, but on its own the movie falls flat.
Old 06-23-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're still assuming those are the only answers.
Old 06-23-03, 08:07 PM
Banned

If I like Mememto will like this? Is it twistier than Memento? Is it a thriller? If so, how would you compare it to Silence of the Lambs? And for the record, I absolutely HATED Sexy beast!
Old 06-24-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by isamu
If I like Mememto will like this? Is it twistier than Memento? Is it a thriller? If so, how would you compare it to Silence of the Lambs? And for the record, I absolutely HATED Sexy beast!
This movie has absolutely nothing in common with any of those films. It's not a thriller, per se. It's more of a paranoid science fiction tale.

Here's a review:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...nniedarko.html
Old 07-20-03, 12:00 AM

DD on Sale at Fye

Fye had DD on sale for $9.99 today.. Picked up two of them. Haven't watched it yet, watching The Transporter first, then will watch DD.
Old 07-25-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pretty good movie. Worth the $7 I paid for it.
Old 07-25-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just watched this last night and thought it was surprisingly very good. I only say surprisingly because I hadn't heard much about it before.