Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Boondock Saints

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 01-19-02, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was talking about movies with some friends tonight and the movie, "Boondock Saints" was mentioned. Has anyone seen the movie and the copy on DVD? What's the quality like? I heard such good things about this movie that I'm very tempted to buy it but want to know if the DVD is any good. I hope someone can help.
Old 01-20-02, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...ahh... here's a review from the UK of the original Canadian DVD release...

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/index.cgi?...538&story=2627

...and this is a review of the Swedish Region2/PAL DVD release...

http://www.dvd1138.com/showreview.asp?ID=119

...and then there's this rather unhelpful review of a 'new' release of the DVD (this time featuring a commentary) which forgets to mention a) what Region, b) what label...

http://www.dvdwolf.com/Reviews/B/Boondock_Saints.htm

...and that's all I could find, except for a Danish review - in Danish - of the Danish (R2/PAL) DVD...

Note: the movie is also available on, I seem to recall, Spanish DVD(*) and on Italian DVD, plus it's available in Japan...

(*) http://www.veo-veo.com/docs/detalle.asp?d=14508
(contrary to the other discs referred to above, this one appears to feature an anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer and a DD 5.1 soundtrack

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 01-20-02 at 02:08 AM.
Old 01-20-02, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hendrik has certainly supplied quite a bit of information, though, if you do the right thing, you won't need it. DO NOT BUY THIS MOVIE. I got duped into buying it from all the great things I heard about it too. Needless to say, I traded it the next day. My suggestion would be, as it is for ANY movie you have not yet seen, rent it first. This is definately available on VHS at Blockbuster (they had sole distribution rights.) If after watching the movie, you still feel the need to buy it, maybe some of Hendrik's links will be helpful.

Just my opinion of course, hope it helps.

Dan
Old 01-20-02, 12:01 PM

Thanks Hendrik and Cokeguy!!
You both have given me much to look through...Their have been very few movies I have bought without viewing them and its been a 50/50 on them being movies I would own ( The owner of my neighborhood underground videostore, who I respect completely thought I'd just love,"The Cook, Theif, Wife and Lover" and I didn't care for it at all) Thank you for looking out for me. The nice thing about the situation is that my wife has two friends who love this movie and they both recently got DVD players for x-mas, so chances are they would buy it from me or we give it to them as a gift.( Maybe I'll tell them where to buy it and watch thier copy) I just really wanted to see if the version sold on amazon.com is a good quality and again appreciate your help in making my decision.
Old 01-20-02, 04:00 PM

I agree with cokeguy when he says that if you are sitting on the fence, you should always rent it first. However I purchased Boondock Saints sight-unseen because it is sold here in Canada at a very low price ($13.99) and am very pleased with it. When people are looking through my collection they always ask about it. The results are a mixed bag; Some love it, some hate it. I happen to love the movie and would reccomend it to anybody. It does help though that I am a fan of Dafoe and Patrick-Flannery. I feel it is a worthy addition to your library if you enjoy their earlier work. Give it a second thought.

neXo

btw, great post Hendrik
Old 01-22-02, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Also available here at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...837008-4463340

Check out the Z-shops for a really good bargain -- one of which claims to have 677 in stock @ $11.98 ea. (Not me, BTW)
Old 01-22-02, 09:43 AM

boondock

havent seen the dvd. but i really recommend this movie. i may pick the dvd up if it has any extras, but it's one you can pick up used from blockbuster (vhs) for under 5$.