Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Hidden Gem: Tortilla Soup (1/15)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-02, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to review next week's "Tortilla Soup" yesterday. I really didn't know much about the film at all, except for the fact that it was a remake of Ang Lee's "Eat Drink Man Woman", only with Mexican food instead of Chinese food.

The film stars Hector Elizondo as the father of three daughters (Elizabeth Pena of "Rush Hour", Jaqueline Obradors of "Six Days, Seven Nights" and Tamara Mello of "She's All That"). As the daughters sit down for dinners (and there's incredible food in this film), we learn more about the problems that the girls are having. This could have turned sitcom-ish, but the three girls are absolutely terrific in their roles. Not only did I believe them as sisters, but their characters are nicely developed and have distinct personalities. More than that, everyone seems to be having genuine fun in their part.

While the material may be a bit familiar and predictable, I thought the film presented realistic situations well and added a few touches of drama without getting too heavy. It's not a flawless film, but I smiled a lot, cared about the characters and was satisfied at the end, as if I'd had a good meal.

And - of course - food plays a part in the film:

The DVD is a bit dissapointing (no extras whatsoever, but good audio/video. It's a good rental if you're at the video store and are in the mood for a nice comedy.

I just thought I'd share, as I'd hope this fun and entertaining little movie doesn't get overlooked during a busy week of releases.
Old 03-07-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just saw this movie a few days ago, it is a nice little movie. I was especially impressed with Hector Elizondo (the father in the movie). Elizondo has been in a ton of movies, but I never noticed him before.

Anyway, this is a chick flick (a movie about three sisters), but a very good one and is certainly watchable (and enjoyable) by men. And the food is incredible.

As mentioned by DVDRules1 above, this is definately worth a rental.