Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

David Lynch's Elephant Man

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 12-14-01, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gorgeous B&W cinematography, the anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer is amazing. I've read about 6 reviews of the disc, and only DVDverdict gave the transfer a so-so review.

http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/resultat...&land=%25&ok=go

and it was DVDjournal's disc of the week

http://www.dvdjournal.com/quickrevi...hantman.q.shtml

The 5.1 sound was great. I own the CD score of this film, and the sounds of the DVD's score coming out of my speakers was a revelation. Also Lynch's usual unusual industrial soundscape was on full(aural)display here.

While I was watching the film on DVD Tuesday night, AMC was showing a full-frame version at the same time and the differences btw the DVD and TV presentation were night and day.

The 1/2 hour documentary is also very good, with John Hurt, Mel Brooks, producer Johnathan Sanger, and makeup artist Christopher Tucker all telling interesting anecdotes about the making of the film. Not your usual studio puff piece. Tucker also has a short featurette about constructing the Elephant's make up and narrates over another featurette of color stills of John Hurt, never seen before according to Tucker, undergoing his make over into John Merrick.

I thought that the lack of chapter stops would bother me, -- I didn't buy the Straight Story -- but since I watched it from end to end, accept for an occasional pause to switch over to AMC, it wasn't an issue. down the road, if I want to see a particular scene, it'll probably piss me off.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 12-14-01, 10:05 PM

mmmmm. David Lynch.

It is hard to believe that this film follows on the heals of Eraser Head. Lynch is one of our finest directors. Next up Twin Peaks season one on tuesday. Its a great time to experience the works of David Lynch on dvd. Now bring on the special edition of Blue Velvet, toss in Muholland Drive, stir in a pinch of salt and we have cinema nirvana.
Old 12-15-01, 06:03 PM

I saw this movie in the theatre when I was ten yrs old.
I had to leave the theatre because it freaked me out so much.
It will always have an impression on my brain.