Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Link : David Mamet's Oleanna

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 12-11-01, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Synopisis from the press release.

The tormentor becomes the tormented when a shy student turns the tables on a manipulative professor in this provocative portrait of sex, power and betrayal from writer/director David Mamet (State and Main, The Spanish Prisoner). Desperate to pass one of her classes, Carol (Debra Eisenstadt) approaches her professor John (William H. Macy) behind the closed doors of his university office. Words are exchanged. A touch. A glance. And what began as a simple meeting between teacher and student, suddenly spirals wildly out-of-control. But when Carol files harassment charges against him, the wheels are set in motion for a high stakes game of cat-and-mouse with shocking, devastating results. Now, you decide how far is too far – but beware. Whatever side you take, you’re wrong, in an explosive film that Gene Siskel of the Chicago Tribune called: “fascinating… The kind of all too rare picture that creates conversation.”

--

Read my review of Seville Pictures Canadian release of Oleanna at MadmanMark.com . Once your there just click the link on the Latest Reviews sidebar
Old 12-22-01, 06:16 PM

I saw Oleanna (I've heard two interesting stories about the title, but I digress) for the first time on VHS a couple months ago. I'd read the play three times before seeing the film, and I think the play is definately better, but what else is new? The main weakness of the film, I think, is Debra Eisenstadt. This is not to say that she does a bad job, only that Rebecca Pidgeon played the role on stage, and, by all accounts, her performance could not be matched. Had she played the role of the student, I think the film would have been considerably better. Also, the ending in the film was carried out differently (i.e. more drawn out) than the ending I envisioned when reading the play. Still, Oleanna is a good film, although certainly not for the J6P crowd. I wasn't aware that a DVD had been released, but, according to your review, one has. I always thought MGM held the rights. I may pick this up, although the quality of it doesn't sound too good.

Last edited by Justin Doring; 12-22-01 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-27-01, 10:44 AM

I have caught this film a few times whenever it's been on SUNDANCE... It's textbook Mamet & although some might consider it boring, it's extreemly well written and executed. Agreeing with Justin, Debra Eisenstadt seems a bit out of her league here as everything she says sounds just like she is reading it from the screenplay with no life or emotion. Both her & Macy continually speak as if they are still treading the boards... "you see, don't you see..you must see!" It's still very engrossing given the delivery.

I guess depending on your gender & ideals, you will decide which person you'd like to see thrown out of the ofice window during the film.

Worth seeing if you like thoughtfull , conversation inducing films.
Old 01-01-02, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by Justin Doring
I wasn't aware that a DVD had been released, but, according to your review, one has. I always thought MGM held the rights. I may pick this up, although the quality of it doesn't sound too good.
The disc was released in Canada only by Seville Pictures. I believe MGM still owns the US rights. If your interested in picking up this disc it can be done through Videoflicks.com
Old 01-04-02, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the information, Mark.