Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

reviews of U2 'elevation' yet?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-01, 05:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone have any, or know of any reviews on this title yet?
thanks
smurr
Old 11-20-01, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't seen a review, either, but I just picked up my copy from Best Buy this morning. Two-disc set, packaging is very similar to Magnolia & Se7en. Cardboard slipcase w-pullout folder for the CDs and a nice booklet included with the set. Very classy looking. Looking forward to watching this tonight! It shouldn't disappoint.
Old 11-20-01, 01:55 PM
Cool New Member

when i first saw the stuck in a moment video that was filmed in concert two weeks ago on vh1, well i was worried..it was very grainy and i figured the dvd would have the same quality since it is from the same show...well boy was i wrong i picked up this dvd this morning at best buy.....and wow was i blowen away. it is shot on digital video and the picture quality is awsome...(-the cameras they used from the shots from the audience)and the sound is incredable i wish that they would have released it with dts..but oh well. And it's full frame..would have been sweet to get a widescreen 16x9 image but oh well. it is really worth the 17.99 they have it on sale for...now only if they would release a zoo t.v. show on dvd!!
Old 11-20-01, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
I also picked it up today. Great show, U2 was in fine form that night. After watching Rattle & Hum this weekend, I'm really impressed at how much they've grown as a live act over the past 15 years.
The picture is great and the sound is very clear and rich. Who cares that there's no DTS track if the DD track sounds this good (Springsteen was the same way). I'm sure some people who ordered the DVD from Amazon will be bummed because they list a DTS track in the specs; it's not here but you won't be disappointed.
I love the packaging. It's a lot like the Ultimate Jordan set, sturdy, eyecatching and classy. I haven't gotten to disc two yet (24 is on tonight, you know), but it sure looks like an impressive set.
Old 11-21-01, 07:35 AM
Ape

I know I'll be in the minority here...
First off in all fairness I'm not much of a U2 fan and after buying this nothing has changed.
The quality of the package overall was good although unlike other reviews I've seen so far I thought the audio was lacking in the mix with vocals being drowned out by the heavy bass as well as the morons who feel the need to yell throughout an entire concert.
I have tried to like U2 because of their enthusiasm and what I have heard great devotion the fans but for some reason the music just all sounds the same to me and just doesn't do it for me.
If you are a U2 fan and the price of $17.99 at Best Buy should make you a happy camper.
Ape
Old 11-21-01, 10:55 PM
Cool New Member

anyone else here think that they did a little magic with bonos voice while they were mixing the sound for this show..i have a few boots from this tour and his voice always sounds..well not so good...i used to be a u2nut...but the prices of tixs and there attitudes turn me away ..but the dvd is still excellent in all forms
Old 11-25-01, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anybody know if the concert that was on VH-1 Friday Night is the same show as the one on the new disc? The VH-1 concert was taped in Boston.
Old 11-25-01, 07:12 PM
RVN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great concert, great DVD, considering there is no Zoo stuff on DVD yet. Saved myself about $150 since I didn't have to buy tickets!

Plus, no dts track to worry about whether or not the DD or the dts sounded better.

I liked the way the show just starts on the DVD, no menus and loop-over music to deal with out of the gate. Of course there are stupid menus and looped music on the special features disc. I enjoyed the time lapse concert setup ...I've seen these before, twenty-five years ago, but never so elaborate as the stages and shows have grown so complicated since then.

btw: I don't care if Edge overdubbed his flubs or Bono used Ethel Merman lip syncs. Some details may have been cooked or tweaked ...but then again this performance on DVD cooked!

RVN
Old 11-26-01, 01:26 PM

Personally, I thought the concert sounded fantastic. The first disc, which is the main concert presentation, is excellent. My concerns revolve around the multi-angle feature on the second disc, which is not quite as well laid-out as I'd have liked, but still manages to be rather enjoyable.

DVD Review: U2 - Elevation Tour
Old 11-28-01, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
FANTASTIC in every way, except...

...if ONLY it had been in widescreen (OK, AND DTS). But other than that, it's GREAT, just like being at the actual show (but w/out all the pushing & shoving). I saw them twice on this tour, and this DVD really relives the experience. The sound is great (good use of surrounds), and the picture quality is excellent as well. I don't care that much about Disc Two, different angles of the same show as Disc One + some other extras, but the set as a whole is WELL worth the price.