Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Shania Twain The Platinum Collection DVD

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Shania Twain The Platinum Collection DVD

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-01, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: Shania Twain The Platinum Collection DVD

Anyone have an early review for this DVD?
My apologies if this is in the wrong thread, figured it would go here because it's a DVD video disc and not DVD audio. Anyone heard about this DVD coming out? Anyone have an early review for this DVD? Anyone looking forward to this coming out? This was the only info I could find on the shaniatwain official site:

"21 Shania Videos on DVD For First Time Ever
Shania Twain's new DVD, The Platinum Collection, will hit stores on Nov. 6th, featuring 21 of Shania's videos in chronological order. The Platinum Collection marks the first time these videos have been issued on DVD, making the perfect holiday gift for Shania fans of all ages. Don't miss approximately 80 minutes of Shania's music videos from her self titled, debut album, Shania Twain, The Woman In Me, and the multi-platinum Come On Over."

Last edited by xpguy; 11-09-01 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-29-01, 11:55 PM

I havent seen anything about this, but you know its gotta be good with Shania In it. Im a pretty big country music fan, and she has just been Phenomenal over the years, and to be able to own anything with her in it will be worth while.... I'll look for this one myself and buy it.
I know this wasnt much help.
Old 10-30-01, 02:47 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

From the CMA's a while back....

Last edited by JLB; 10-30-01 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-30-01, 03:00 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

And of course, this video is very nice:

Old 10-30-01, 11:40 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone has a wrong MSRP on it

800.com has the list price at $24.97 and is selling it for $19.95

Amazon has the list price at $19.98 and is selling it for $14.98

1. What Made You Say That 2. Dance With The One That Brought You 3. You Lay A Whole Lotta Love On Me 4. Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under? 5. Any Man Of Mine 6. The Woman In Me 7. I'm Outta Here! 8. You Win My Love 9. No One Needs To Know 10. Home Ain't Where His Heart Is 11. God Bless The Child 12. Love Gets Me Every Time 13. Don't Be Stupid 14. You're Still The One 15. Honey, I'm Home 16. From This Moment On 17. That Don't Impress Me Much 18. Man! I Feel Like A Woman! 19. You've Got A Way 20. Come On Over 21. Rock This Country!

BTW: Amazon also shows a "Shania Twain Specials" Dvd coming out November 20th. Anyone have more info on this one?
Old 10-31-01, 02:21 AM

I just placed a preorder for it. I'll review it when I get it next week if no one beats me to it.
Old 11-01-01, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-01-01, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<small>Originally posted by AJW "Shania Twain Specials" ... Anyone have more info on this one?</small>

The Specials contains 2 network TV specials, including "Winter Break" which aired in March 1999 and "Come On Over" which aired in November of 1999. In all, The Specials contains over 90 minutes of Shania's performances with guest appearances by Elton John and the Backstreet Boys on "Winter Break," and Troy Aikman and the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders from "Come On Over."
Old 11-01-01, 09:06 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had taped both of those specials. Nothing to write home about, except for Shania's outifts.

Personnally, I like this a lot more and you get the continuity of a whole concert (just look past the hair):

Old 11-02-01, 11:01 PM

Hi I have not recieved the specials one yet but the platnium collection is great I am a huge Shania Twain fan it it collects all her videos from What made you say that to Rock this country this is a must ahve for a Shania fan. Its about time we heard something from her even if it is old stuff lol
Old 11-03-01, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, there are a lot of bad looking pics of her in this thread. I guess that's not surprising - every time I see her I either think she's incredibly hot or awful looking. Such as, egads, that hair in the last pic. How do you "just look past [it]"????

The only way I could look past that is with a garbage bag over her entire head and upper torso. Which is too bad, because I think she's incredible looking when her hair is just hanging down loose and straight.
Old 11-07-01, 10:19 PM

Disk is not 5.1 sound which is extremely disappointing, has no extra feature or interactive menus. They do tell you when the video was filmed, the release date and the Director and location(s) where the video was shot.

No booklet. Only for fans of Shania as this is simply a series of music videos. Picture quality is good (not great) and sound is acceptable.

I would have preferred a better sound presentation (5.1 sound or better still DTS as this is a Universal DVD and they have done such a great job on other DVD's), and a booklet with either background information, bios, and/or lyrics. What you get here is bare bones presentation of old videos. In other words a money grab!
Old 11-07-01, 11:41 PM

no 5.1? nooooooooooooooooo

damn no 5.1? I was looking forward to 5.1, those bastards.
UPS ground is so slow, i'm still waiting for mine (been more than a week since i ordered)
Is it in full screen 1.33:1?

Anyone know if Shania Twain - The Specials, due out Nov 20 is in 5.1?

Last edited by xpguy; 11-07-01 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-09-01, 07:27 PM

vintage hit the nail on the head

I just watched the DVD all the way through in 1 sitting. I agree with everything that Vintage said. It's pretty sad that they didn't even include a booklet! At least have a 1 sheet piece of paper or something inside, but nothing, cept the DVD.

Also, I tried to turn on the subtitles to follow along, but none of that either. Finally the thing that really bugs me the most, they used some stupid techno version of "You've got a way" it was annoying as hell and ruined the song for me.

The sound was good, not 5.1 as Vintage already mentioned. The picture quality was great on the newer videos (not the older ones). Even with a few bad stuff (not 5.1, no booklet, etc..) I would still recommend this DVD. I'd give it 3 stars out of 5.

*EDIT*
forgot to add that only 5 of the videos were in widescreen:
Track 3) You lay a whole lot of love on me
Track 7) If you're not in it for love i'm out of here
Track 8) You win my love
Track 10) Home ain't where the heart is anymore
Track 19) You've got a way

Last edited by xpguy; 11-10-01 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-10-01, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: vintage hit the nail on the head

Originally posted by xpguy
I guess the other ones were filmed in pan and scan originally?
I hate to nit-pick, but you can't film in pan & scan, only full frame or widescreen. Pan & scan is the process of converting a widescreen image to a full frame.
And yes, it's very disappointing to not at least mix the videos in 5.1. At least it's not as bad at The Eurythmics video collection that advertises a 5.1 track that is NOT on the disc.
Old 11-10-01, 07:12 PM

thanks for correction

"At least it's not as bad at The Eurythmics video collection that advertises a 5.1 track that is NOT on the disc."

wow that is a flat out lie, time to return it to the store
Old 11-13-01, 12:13 PM

I think this collection of Shania videos is pretty good. They did use alternate, pop versions on a couple of the videos though. "You Win My Love" is not the country version and as said before "You've Got a Way" is not the original. But 80 minutes of Ms. Twain is still good.

A little off topic, but hopefully we will be seeing more country star video compilations. Martina McBride and Kenny Chesney have released DVD's within the last month and Jo Dee Messina is supposed to have one out soon. On my wish list is Chely Wright. For those that don't know who she just take a look......