Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Anyone have Michael Moores "The Awful Truth"?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-01, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw a few episodes when it aired on Bravo. Is this worth purchasing?
Old 10-29-01, 07:37 AM

I've got this set. if you liked the show, you'll like the set. nothing too special about it, but it's nice to have all those episodes together.
they do have the episode where they airdrop televisions on afganistan.. maybe they're holding a grudge....
Old 10-29-01, 11:42 AM

I saw a few very good episodes of Bravo and bought the set, but I wish I hadn't. The picture and audio are both as good as can be expected and some episodes are very good, but most of the show is rather mediocre and has little rewatchability. Many segments are just wacky for the sake of being wacky and have little to do with bringing about social change. These crazy segments can actually be very annoying and are only occasionaly offset by a meaningful piece. I suggest you rent or just skip it, and that's coming from a Michael Moore fan.

Ironically, it is nowhere near as good as Roger and Me, The Big One, or TV Nation, yet it is the only one out on DVD.
Old 10-29-01, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a great set. Many of the episodes are very rewatchable IMHO.
You will feel good about yourself for supporting such an inventive and informative program. Now put out seasons 2 and 3 please!! I would also love to see TVNATION on DVD
Mike Rules.
Old 10-29-01, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
If only for the segment where Mike takes his special group of Christmas carollers on a tour of North Carolina's toboacco industry offices, this is a worthwhile set.
That was definitely one of the best segments. My favorite is probably the one where they hold the funeral outside the insurance company office. I agree with most of what you said, but think the miss segments outnumber the hits by too much for a purchase to be justified.
Old 10-29-01, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
If only for the segment where Mike takes his special group of Christmas carollers on a tour of North Carolina's toboacco industry offices, this is a worthwhile set.

If you've seen anything Moore has done previously, you know what you are getting. Its a bit hit or miss, but when it hits, it does so sharply.

I do with the supplements were better thought out, with more background info on some, if not all, of the stories. What's there is sparse and repetitive of what is found in the programs themselves.
Old 10-29-01, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all the opinions guys. May have to hold off on it for awhile
Old 11-01-01, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I own it...very enjoyable. If you are a fan of Moore, I would think about buying it.
Old 11-02-01, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
What "epsiodes" are on these disc? I couldn't find a list anywhere for the first season, just season two.
Old 11-02-01, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by vasb
I saw a few very good episodes of Bravo and bought the set, but I wish I hadn't. The picture and audio are both as good as can be expected and some episodes are very good, but most of the show is rather mediocre and has little rewatchability. Many segments are just wacky for the sake of being wacky and have little to do with bringing about social change. These crazy segments can actually be very annoying and are only occasionaly offset by a meaningful piece. I suggest you rent or just skip it, and that's coming from a Michael Moore fan.

Ironically, it is nowhere near as good as Roger and Me, The Big One, or TV Nation, yet it is the only one out on DVD.

if you want to sell your copy, I might be interested.

[email protected]
Old 11-06-01, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I bought mine used for $17, and I thought that was a good deal. True, it is not as good as TV Nation. TV Nation I'd pay three times as much for...