DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   Review Wanted: While You Were Sleeping (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/153415-review-wanted-while-you-were-sleeping.html)

DVD-Justin 10-25-01 05:55 AM

Review Wanted: While You Were Sleeping

I'm thinking about picking this one up for the GF, maybe around christmas since its a christmas type of film, maybe one copy for myself as well. Any impressions? I think it's due for a SE re-release sometime, but i want to get her it for this winter... :)

Thanks.

JimRochester 10-25-01 11:26 AM

I don't have the DVD but I saw the movie and liked it. Typical Sandra Bullock lightweight fun. But enjoyable. I will probably pick this one up one day myself. I know the only way to keep the wife awake long enough (if you know what I mean ;)) is to have a good supply of romantic comedies in the collection. I like them myself in measured doses.

DVD-Justin 10-25-01 03:16 PM

Originally posted by JimRochester
I don't have the DVD but I saw the movie and liked it. Typical Sandra Bullock lightweight fun. But enjoyable. I will probably pick this one up one day myself. I know the only way to keep the wife awake long enough (if you know what I mean ;)) is to have a good supply of romantic comedies in the collection. I like them myself in measured doses.
Well I agree. A little lightweight fun this winter is due, especially after all the events from the fall.... I first saw this flick in 96' and i was really impressed. Rom-com's were more fun back then, now it seems like the same thing over and over again (read. Anything by Julia Roberts). WYWS was like a love triangle with a new twist, and it was fun. Bottom line.

I hope a re-release SE comes out someday. A movie that does $200 million worldwide deserves one, could be a hit again for the holidays. :)

DVDRules1 10-26-01 12:36 PM

I saw the DVD quite a while ago, but I don't remember being very pleased with it. The film is only Dolby 2.0 when I believe that it played theatrically in 5.1. I also remember it being non-anamorphic.

DVD-Justin 10-26-01 03:14 PM

Originally posted by DVDRules1
I saw the DVD quite a while ago, but I don't remember being very pleased with it. The film is only Dolby 2.0 when I believe that it played theatrically in 5.1. I also remember it being non-anamorphic.
That's exactly why im pushing for a re-release of WYWS :) This film helped in large part to put Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman on the map, and if im not mistaken it was released on DVD in 1998.... A lot has changed since then, which gives all the more reason to repackage and re-release this great flick for the world to see. :)

~Justin

JimRochester 10-26-01 03:20 PM

Non-anamorphic would bother me, but comedies in general don't suffer all that much from lack of 5.1. Naturally I would prefer it, but When Harry Met Sally was 2.0 and it was fine.

DVD-Justin 10-31-01 08:05 AM

Originally posted by JimRochester
Non-anamorphic would bother me, but comedies in general don't suffer all that much from lack of 5.1. Naturally I would prefer it, but When Harry Met Sally was 2.0 and it was fine.
For me personally i would rather have a 5.1 track, mainly due to the fact that a lot of this film does take place in outdoor city environments, often with a lot of background and city sounds..

But that's just personal preference ;)

Grizzly 10-31-01 06:29 PM

my <b>While You Were Sleeping</b> DVD is anamorphic, but then again it's an R2 disc too! ;)

love the movie, one of my absolute favorite romantic comedies.. i really hope they'll release an SE later on.. maybe they could even get the director and Sandra Bullock together for a commentary track (she did one for <b>Miss Congeniality</b> so she could be game to do it!).. since the R1 is non-anamorphic is would seem pretty likely that it'll be re-released later on though but that is probably not for another year or two at the earliest.. i say buy it. look up some reviews, if the quality isn't bad then why not? you could always sell it later on if there ever is a SE due out..