Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Argento reviews wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-01, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Argento reviews wanted

How are the twin-pack Anchor Bay releases of Dario Argento's films, particularly the Deep Red/Tenebre two pack? Are these titles available seprately in better editions? Are better releases on the way?

Last edited by Pants; 10-10-01 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-11-01, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Argento reviews wanted

Originally posted by Pants
How are the twin-pack Anchor Bay releases of Dario Argento's films, particularly the Deep Red/Tenebre two pack? Are these titles available seprately in better editions? Are better releases on the way?
I don't know if better releases are on their way......but no time soon according to AB's coming soon page.

They are available as separate discs, but as far as people have said here, they are the same and it is just a packaging difference. I haven't even seen these 2 disc sets since I already have the single releases.
Old 10-14-01, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I own the 2 dis csets of Inferno/Phenomena and Deep Red/Tenebre and I'm pretty sure that they are the same version that are available seperately. If you're thinking about picking them up, I recommend uln.com which has them for about $22.50. I definitely recommend geting Deep Red/Tenebre, in my opinion they're Argento's best films. It would be nice if all the films were anamorphic, Inferno & Deep Red are 16X9 while Phenomena and Tenebre are Letterbox. I was slightly dissapointed in Deep Red because parts of the US track were lost, so you're stuck watching some parts in Italian and some in English which is a little distracting. Still, for the price that I paid I'm glad to own these Anchor Bay releases.
Old 10-15-01, 12:11 AM

The English track for those DEEP RED scenes wasn't lost. It was never created. Those passages only exist in Italian, so Anchor Bay had no choice but to present them in Italian. The Italian sections were only meant for release in Italy. The film was cut down for the English language release and those cut sections were never dubbed into English. You do have the opiton of watching the entire film in Italian with English subtitles if you want.
Old 10-17-01, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While Anchor Bay did not give these films the same treatment they did Suspiria, the transfers are generally pretty good and the audio (except for the aformentioned switches in Deep Red) is good too. The discs are all available seperately, but if you can find them I would recommend the double packs due to the total price being a little bit lower and limited status makes them somewhat collectable. I had a local music store order them and they recieved them in about 3 days. I had never seen most of these uncut, so that was a treat (especially with Phenomena and Deep Red).