Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

review wanted: The Crimson Rivers

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-26-01, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
Old 09-26-01, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am also interested in this movie. I have never seen it, but I am tempted to get it at Amazon because someone sent me love. Jean Reno is also one of my favorite actors. There are a wide ranging of opinions on this movie at imdb.com. For a professional review, you can check out Ebert's review at http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_...08/081001.html
Old 09-26-01, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a SEVEN-style thriller. It looks gorgeous without resembling MTV. It's photographed by Thierry Arbogast, who is Luc Besson's usual cinematographer. The mystery is terribly intriguing, so there's a good bit of suspense until the climax which is a letdown. Upon further consideration, you realize that a lot of parts aren't logical, but it's directed with such skill that you don't notice until afterwards.

Jean Reno and Vincent Cassel are awesome. They have the cliched quiet senior and hot-headed youngster relationship, but it's good anyway. Action-wise, there's a kung fu fight and one or two foot chases.

It's certainly one of the better SEVEN clones out there (the best actually). So, if you think mystery thrillers are worth repeat viewings then definitely go for it.
Old 09-27-01, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have not seen it either but did pre-order it about 3 months ago. Please take a note that I am not buying the GODFATHER....but I will get this one.
I have read quite a few articles in eurosites about it and could not wait to have it.

As far as the comments about being as SEVEN and MTV-esque....I beg to differ. Not even close!!

Buy it. 100%.
Old 09-27-01, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i wouldn't recommend buying the DVD for the one reason that Columbia/Tristar decided to release it with a 5.1 DD english dub and only in 2.0 for the french original language track.

that's %#@!#$% blasphemy in my book.

calling it an SE and filling it with a bunch of extras, and not releasing it with a 5.1 track for the original language it was made in is just awful on CTHE's part. that's no SE, that's a CE (Crap Edition).

only idiots want to see a film dubbed.

Last edited by Grizzly; 09-27-01 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-27-01, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
I have not seen it either but did pre-order it about 3 months ago. Please take a note that I am not buying the GODFATHER....but I will get this one.
I have read quite a few articles in eurosites about it and could not wait to have it.

As far as the comments about being as SEVEN and MTV-esque....I beg to differ. Not even close!!

Buy it. 100%.
I said it was stylish WITHOUT being MTV-esque.

And if you've never seen it, how can you say buy it 100%? Or make any comments about the film's quality at all?
Old 09-28-01, 12:06 AM

Grizzly, I am disappointed as well, but seeing how many other foreign films get dubbed and butchered (*cough*Di$ney/Miramax/Dimension*cough*), I am just glad this will have a subtitled track and not be just a dubbed version (unlike the trevesty I call MELTDOWN)
Old 09-28-01, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

personally i rather learn french* and buy the french edition (DD 5.1 + DTS 5.1) than buy this poor excuse of a DVD.

* the french edition doesn't have english subtitles.
Old 09-28-01, 08:32 AM

Grizzly,

That would definitely be the ideal way to do it, but then I would spend all my time lerning French, Chinese, Japanese, and end up actually having no time to watch these fine films. Of couse if Sony/TriStar (why does it alays seem to come back to them?)doesn't find a way to begin releasing subtitled Godzilla flicks soon, I may just have to learn Japanese so I can get their versions of the discs.

Either way, I already have a copy of Crimson Rivers on order ( I work at a Blockbuster, so after my discount it is only $18).