DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Request: Cape Fear

Old 09-10-01, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Early Reviews For "Cape Fear" DVDS?

The title says it all. I know that they don't come out until next week, but I thought that some reviews might be available now. I'm interested in hearing about the transfers and extras.

jim
Old 09-10-01, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here you go, Jim.

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...fear_1962.html

http://www.dvdshrine.com/reviews/show.shtml?id=989
Old 09-10-01, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, Sykes.

I'm glad to see that the 1962 version has a pretty good transfer. However, I must take exception to this ridiculous claim made in the DVD Shrine review....

A "B Movie" in the best sense of the term, the 1962 Cape Fear may not be as spine-tingling and terrifying a film as its now more-famous remake....

Now, I do like the Scorsese remake, but there should be no doubt that the original is superior in just about every way. And it's definitely more "spine-tingling and terrifying" thanks to Robert Mitchum (his best performance outside of "Night Of The Hunter, in my opinion) and the film's final half hour, which is perfectly paced and marvelously directed.

jim
Old 09-11-01, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by Gamblor187

Now, I do like the Scorsese remake, but there should be no doubt that the original is superior in just about every way. And it's definitely more "spine-tingling and terrifying" thanks to Robert Mitchum (his best performance outside of "Night Of The Hunter, in my opinion) and the film's final half hour, which is perfectly paced and marvelously directed.

jim [/B]
I think that the last 20 minutes of Scorsese's remake goes a little overboard with Cady becoming almost a Freddy Kruger -type monster, but there's still plenty of good stuff in it.

The original is pretty much "bad Cady persecuting the good, innocent Bowdens". Scorsese adds a little complexity, moral ambiguity and depth of character. For example the seduction scene in the empty theater with Cady posing as the drama teacher is in my opinion more terrifying and spine-tingling than anything in the original. That shows what a master director can do even when working with sub-par source material.
Old 09-16-01, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just giving this a bump. I figure that some of those that preordered might already have these discs. Any comments?

jim
Old 09-17-01, 05:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry, no reviews. Just had to comment on the topic...

I think both films are great. While the 1962 version is every bit as chilling as some of the best thrillers out there, the Scorcese version was made with the attitude and violence of today's audiences. I can't say that one is better than the other as they are both great films IMO. Let's just say that I'll be picking both of them up on Tuesday.
Old 09-19-01, 11:09 AM

I got the 1991 version in the mail yesterday and watched the movie and all the extras. Both the DTS and DD soundtracks were great. The picture was very good although I did notice some edge enhancement. The making of feature was the highlight for me, it was 80 minutes long! It was very in depth and interesting. Overall a good disc.
Old 09-23-01, 07:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Anyone notice any 1 second dropouts while listening to the DTS track? I noticed it 2 or 3 times throughout the movie.