Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews of films you got at BlockBuster Pre-Viewed sale

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-01, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just trying to get a feel on the movies common to most of the locations.

I watched The Cell and wasn't impressed. I'd heard it was lacking in the story department, so was going in purely for technical achievements, but even on that level, there wasn't anything that blew me away. Nor was I disturbed by any of the imagery; maybe I'm just desensitized.

I also picked up The Legend of Bagger Vance, and while it wasn't bad, I can't say I'd recommend it. It just kind of exists. It doesn't inspire or annoy, it just plays, and then it's over. Trying to be a Field of Dreams type hero's journey story, but they don't spend much time on
Spoiler:
why Matt Damon's character has "lost his authentic swing"
, which kind of subtracts. Definitely some nice shots of grass, though.

What did you buy, and are you happy w/ them?
Old 08-22-01, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cast Away - $9.99(bought 2, one for me and a BDay gift for a friend)
Small Soldiers - $9.99 (Great fun. Watched about 10 times. Good Video transfer, not great transfer)
Sleepy Hollow - $7.99 (Watch once a year on Holloween)
3 Kings - $7.99 (Wathed 3 or 4 times. OK movie. Saving Private Ryan much better)
Jurassic Park - $7.99 (Watch it many times at Theater, VHS and DVD. Everyone knows this is a great movie)
Miss Congeniality - $7.99(my daughter bought it with a gift card she received on her BDay. Very good movie. Everyone in family will want to watch it)

I always look to see if there is anything on sale when I go in.

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 08-22-01 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-22-01, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up vertical limit for $7.99. I usually can't stand Chris O'Donnel and hadn't really heard good things about the movie, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I enjoyed it a lot. A great edge of your seat movie. Not a great movie by any means, but with my low expectations, I was pleasantly surprised. And talk about a "no holds barred" beginning... WOW. I would have prefered a punch in the stomach.
Old 08-22-01, 04:19 PM

im always afraid of gettin damaged discs...can you look at the discs before buying? or is there any kinda of return policy?

-NiCK
Old 08-22-01, 05:08 PM
Cool New Member

You have 30 days to return pre-viewed DVDs. If it doesn't work you can exchange or return it.

I got a DVD with stickers on it, even though the disc was pristine I returned it without any problems.
Old 08-22-01, 05:32 PM

wow, then i guess you really cant go wrong...thanks

-NiCK
Old 08-22-01, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There wasn't much to choose from as far as DVD' at my Blockbuster (I went to a couple). BUt I found the following:

Wedding Planner $10.99 (for the wife)
What Women Want $10.99 (again, for the wife)
Unbreakable $12.99 (I was pleasantly suprised when I saw this film. Bruce Willis turned in a particularly great, understated performance)
Old 08-24-01, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Mike A
You have 30 days to return pre-viewed DVDs. If it doesn't work you can exchange or return it.
As I just posted in another thread, my local BB would NOT let me return DVDs, ONLY exchange them. Wanted my $ back for The Cell but they'd only let me exchange it for another.
Old 08-26-01, 12:28 PM

blockbuster pre-viewed

I picked up 2 titles:

Traffic ($6.99) terrific film, great acting all around, really good film for the home theatre format, lots of visual texture, compelling story, etc.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon ($6.99) what can i say-a masterpiece!!! and a must-have DVD!! can't believe I got it at this price
Old 08-26-01, 06:51 PM
Cool New Member

As I just posted in another thread, my local BB would NOT let me return DVDs, ONLY exchange them. Wanted my $ back for The Cell but they'd only let me exchange it for another
I've returned two pre-viewed movies at BB, Dogma and Cast Away. I think your mistake is that you told them you didn't like the movie!

I bought Dogma and then found out the SE was coming out so a few days later I returned it saying there were scratches, which there were. They asked if I wanted to exchange it, I said no thanks I'll just take a refund.

Cast Away had stickers on the DVD itself so I returned it. These discs are after all "used". It's not like the value goes down once you open it, all they do is reseal it.
Old 08-26-01, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I checked out 2 BBs in my area after reading a heads up at this site. I pleased with my sellections:

Girl, Interrupted - 10.99 (I paid more for the VHS version)
Buffalo 66 - 7.99
Cast Away - 10.99
X-Men - 7.99
Exorcist (Dir Cut) - 7.99
Pollock - 7.99

As for reviews, I haven't had time to view them yet, but I have seen all except Pollock and this version of The Exorcist before.
Old 08-27-01, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Mike A

I've returned two pre-viewed movies at BB, Dogma and Cast Away. I think your mistake is that you told them you didn't like the movie!
Typical BB garbage. I told them it was scratched, but they would NOT give me a refund, even though I had the receipt. Took it to another location, and they WERE going to give me my $ but then said they couldn't since it was purchased at another location. Took it back to the first store and then they said they couldn't give refunds on used DVDs.

I SO want them to go out of business.