Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

mgm midnite movies

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-01, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
mgm midnite movies

Any reviews of the midnite movies that are being released 8-28.I have seen a view at the store already,so any reviews would be appreciated.
Old 08-23-01, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
picked up
Island of Dr Moreou & Theater of Blood.
ToB was ok, an anamorphic transfer would have been nice, but it was still acceptable
IoDM was a bit better, but the colors seemed a little washed out.
these are very minor complaints since they are street priced under $10.
i was satisfied.
there should be plenty of reviews around for the other titles since they seem to more popular.

didn't realize The Howling was released yesterday...i'll have to go out today and see if i can find it.
Old 09-06-01, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGM Midnite Movies Complete List???

Can someone please post a complete list of these bargain discs.

Thanks, Mike
Old 09-06-01, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ones I have purchased and watched:

Dunwich Horror-Excellent transfer, for a film this old it looks amazing. The sound is equally good, clear and the effects come through well.

Killer Clowns From Outer Space-A Special Edition, complete in every way for less than $10.00 Overrun with features, a excellent transfer by most standards, and sound that is well above average.

Theatre of Blood- A good transfer, excellent if you consider the age of the film(and if you have ever seen the vhs copy). There were more than a few rough spots in the transfer, but it seemed more like film damage than anything. I found the sound to be good, but could have been a little better with sound effects.

The Beast Within- This is simply the best this film has ever looked and sounded. The vhs version I had was almost unwatchable, and even as dark as this film is there is very little grain. The sound is almost perfect, I didn't believe there were many sound effects until I saw this dvd version.

Planet of the Vampires-I couldn't believe how well this transfer came out. I've seen all of Bava's DVD releases, and even his newer films have some artifact and grain problems. I think I noticed all of 3 places where a artifact distracted me in Planet of the Vampires DVD, and only 2 scenes that had minimal grain. The colors are vibrant, and I didn't notice any colors bleeding into each other. The sound was limited by the original source, but is still clear and without distortion.

Invaders from Mars-A good transfer, but it does have a few scenes with a little grain. The sound was above average, I don't think they could have done much more.

The Howling-The LD transfer I've seen seemed a little bland, and the colors seemed dull. The dvd is a massive improvement, but I still think the colors could have looked a little more alive. The sound is impressive, and couldn't believe how well a 80's horror film looked and sounded on dvd. Half the film takes place at night, and I didn't notice one scene with much grain.

Scanners-I know it's not a midnight movie, but it was released on 8/28. Very good transfer, average sound.

Twice Told Tales-As Near perfect as a low budget 1963 horror film can look and sound.