DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   u-571 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/135516-u-571-a.html)

vdubrabbit 08-20-01 10:55 PM

u-571

Rent or buy??

saintsfan 08-21-01 12:16 AM

Buy it:

I thought it was a very good movie. Some here will probably disagree but everyone can have an opinion. Anyway if you have a dts receiver and a good speaker system it will ROCK your house.

saintsfan

filmguy 08-21-01 12:27 AM

U-571.

While this movie isn't as epic as Das Boot, so-to-speak, it still delivers an action packed experience. The story is as follows. A group of American navy soldiers on a submarine must find a secret nazi code machine, and their journey to finding it unleashes a hell of trouble.

MOVIE: 7.5/10
AUDIO: 9/10
VIDEO: 9/10
EXTRAS: 8.5/10

Note: Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS or on this disc. You will not be disappointed with either.

HKFlix 08-21-01 03:55 AM

I gotta' agree with the "buy" sentiment. Although at home, it wasn't as impressive as in the theater, the extras are killer and it's a fun film to watch. :)

DVDRules1 08-21-01 05:57 AM

Marvelous picture. I'd never been too thrilled with Matthew McConaughey's performances in previous pictures, but he was actually superb here, as was the rest of the cast. Not "Das Boot", but close.

The DTS soundtrack is one of the best listening experiences currently available. A massive crew spent nearly a year working on this soundtrack and the sound design of the film, traveling to locations to find actual examples of U-Boats to turn on so they could capture the sounds.

The DVD also has a very informative commentary from director Jonathan Mostow.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

KitchenSink 08-21-01 08:44 AM

Saw U-571 in the theater, and was only so-so on it. I picked this up in a trade mostly to get a glimpse of the loaded extra features. I like this movie a lot more now - I guess I was comparing too tightly to Das Boot originally (Das Boot IS the standard upon which all WW2 sub movies should be measured). U-571 just has a different feel - but still a good story.

I'd say it's worth a buy. Great DTS sound.

JLB 08-21-01 12:47 PM

A must buy.

Seven words in support of the buy point of view:

Depth charges
Home Theater
Neighbors
Call Police

vdubrabbit 08-21-01 11:10 PM

cool

alright, bought it. prolly watch it in a few days.

BigStinky 08-26-01 03:23 PM

Re: cool

Originally posted by vdubrabbit
alright, bought it. prolly watch it in a few days.
:) I hope you like it. I was going to recommend renting. ;)

You should be very pleased with the surround sound.

JDF5244 08-26-01 10:06 PM

Buy it.
Especially if you have a "big" sound system.

starving dvder 08-27-01 03:41 AM

u-571

I thought the movie was great, but it could have been longer.
Since I found out it was based on a true story, the length of it is okay.
Probably will purchase in the near future.

tofu 08-27-01 11:12 AM

a good buy. excellent suspense and drama :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BigStinky 08-27-01 11:33 AM

Re: u-571

Originally posted by starving dvder
I thought the movie was great, but it could have been longer.
Since I found out it was based on a true story, the length of it is okay.
Probably will purchase in the near future.

eh,.... don't confuse this with a real story. There are elements pulled from real life... but a lot of creative invention