Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Prince of Darkness (John Carpenter, '87) - reviews/opinions wanted

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 07-09-01, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lately I've been hearing about cool looking movies that I've never even known about before....including this. Is it any good? How's the DVD?
Old 07-09-01, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Philosophical horror film

John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness snuck through theaters in 1987 Donald Pleasance and Jameson"Simon&Simon" Parker star with a guest spot from Alice Cooper.
This is an outstanding effort it is only for certain horror fans. This film is a little more cerebral than your average fangoria type horror pic. The score by Carpenter is moody and ominous and if you watch this late at night with headphones on it will scare the sh*t out of ya.
Basically you should see this and come up with your own opinion.
The DVD is OOP it was very adequate sound and transfer wise but was completely lacking in any extras including a menu!!! But it was cheap you can pick it up on ebay for 15$ probably. I am sure it will release agaiin eventually hopefully in a John Carpenter box set!!!
Old 07-09-01, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought it was a better than average horror film. It has an interesting concept involving dreams, and can be quite creepy in parts. It isn't perfect though.
Old 07-10-01, 12:50 AM
Cool New Member

Definite buy for Carpenter fans; can be had at "Hastings" for $9.99...plenty in stock.
Old 07-10-01, 12:54 AM

Hastings?
Old 07-10-01, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by demon
Hastings?
Yeah, Hastings. Don't worry, it's safe. The battle is over.

Old 07-12-01, 02:50 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Pro: Widecreen; 16 X 9 Enhanced

Con: Edge-enhancement and moire effects out the wazzu. Check out the sides of brick buildings and the grid-work on fire escapes--they won't stay still to save your life!; no extras--not even a trailer.

It's good to pick up if you can track it down for cheap, but I'm hoping Universal revamps the picture quality and lack of extras for a phat special edition in 2002. NOTE: If you've never seen this film, I cannot stress enough that you should rent it first then, after proclaiming that you hated it, watch it again after several days have passed. I detested this movie on my first viewing but, given my faith in Carpenter (which his releases in the '90s has all but quashed), I gave it another chance and now consider it to be one of his outstanding works from his "golden era" of the '70s and '80s.
Old 07-14-01, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Carpenter pretty much throws everything but the kitchen sink into this one. Even though the Image version sucks, I have it and it's one of my most watched DVDs. As has been mentioned, it's quite a bit more cerebral than most horror films these days. If I remember rightly, Carpenter said in an interview that this was his tribute to all the British sci-fi flicks of the 50's and 60's and he even uses the pseudonym "Martin Quatermass" under the writing credit as homage to the old Hammer studios Quatermass series of movies. In the same interview Carpenter said he sometimes incorporates things he's interetsed in at a particular time into his films hence his interjection of lots of Quantum Physics-related terminology and characters. Aside from it being a horror film, I think one of the reasons it wasn't as successful at the box office is that it's *totally* blasphemous. I'm not a religious person and the elements of the story I'm refering to (which I can't mention without revealing a huge chunk of the plot) have never bothered me in the slightest but I do remember seeing it in the theatre in '87 (about 5 times) and being amazed at how people were actually *walking out* after the wilder aspects of the film began to materialize. Of course, I live in the Bible Belt so I wasn't *too* surprised. I would tell anyone that's particularly religious that if they can't handle some creative liberties being taken regarding Christianity, they probably won't like this movie. Otherwise, I recommend it highly. It's not up there with Carpenter's best films like Halloween, The Thing, Escape From NY or BTILC but it's certainly not more than one rung below alongside The Fog, In the Mouth of Madness and They Live.

BTW, this is the first movie Carpenter did with new cinematographer Gary Kibbe after Dean Cundey moved on and he pulls it off pretty well.
Old 07-19-01, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember seeing this film in the theaters and was quite taken by the mass exodus of people during the showing. I always thought it was due to the horror, not the blasphemus characterizations of christianity. Oh well. Even so, this film is one of my all time favorite horror flicks. I've resisted the urge to purchase it on DVD, as I don't want to spoil my fond and probably somewhat tainted memories. But after seeing this thread, my interest has been rekindled and I'll probably break down and get it.
Old 07-19-01, 05:51 PM

Definitely one to watch alone in a dark room. Late at night, of course. This movie really does give you the creeps. It's difficult to put into words why, it just does.

BTW, I would love to see The Fog on DVD.
Old 07-20-01, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mjlukich
BTW, I would love to see The Fog on DVD.
Special editions of both it and Escape From New York are set for release by MGM in 2002. No official date yet but it seems to be pretty solid info. Carpenter even said in a recent interview that there seemed to be growing interest to do SE's of Prince of Darkness and They Live! but it would no doubt be some time before anything comes down on that. In other words, don't put off buying Prince of Darkness in hopes of getting a better edition since it's only rumor at this point.
Old 07-20-01, 09:58 AM

Great, thanks for the opinions folks! I bought it off of ebay, so it should be arriving mid-next week. Lookin forward to it.
Old 07-20-01, 02:47 PM
Banned

Hope you didn't pay too much. Personally I found it very dull and not at all scary or exciting. The devil as Green Jello? Give me a break!
Old 10-10-06, 09:44 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
I just upgraded to the Universal Home Video version of this title tonight, courtesy of Wal-Mart's $4.88 sale on horror titles, and I've compared it against my original Image disc. Despite what Ian Jane states in his DVDTalk review of the title (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read....=8056&___rd=1), the Universal version is most assuredly not the same transfer as the earlier Image release. Though coloration seems similar, the edge enhancement is substantially less on the new version and the moire/aliasing effects rampant in the old Image version (most notably when Donald Pleasance and Victor Wong first approach the church together early in the film) is entirely absent in the Universal release. Add in the fact that the Universal version includes the trailer that was missing on the Image release and this is a no-brainer upgrade, especially for $4.88. Get 'em before they're gone!