Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Killer (Hong Kong DVD) 5.1 sound worth it?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-01, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this has probably been brought up countless times, but the search engine for DVDtalk does not appear to be working right now, as it brings up no hits for "The Killer".

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting the Hong Kong release of Woo's flick instead of the Fox Lorber version available in the States, specifically because of the 5.1 Dolby Digital remix on that version.

My question is, are owners of this DVD happy with this version or do they think they would have been better served going with the Fox Lorber version, which at least features a commentary, if also the theatrical-version mono sound?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-09-01, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A good rule of thumb is that HK-originated 5.1 remixes of old movies are always awful. It's too bad the Asiandvdguide's webmaster threw a hissy fit and locked away all the thousands of reviews he doesn't own, but I'm pretty sure the reviews of this disc bashed the 5.1 sound. To the point where the 5.1 makes the film worse rather than better.

One day, I hope someone does a complete, big-budget Hollywood-quality 5.1 audio makeover of The Killer and Hard-Boiled. Can you imagine how amazing it could be? I wouldn't mind if the dialogue were in English. Just put the original Cantonese on the alternate audio track. Perhaps Fox Lorber will do this for their eventual SE discs?
Old 07-09-01, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, HK sound remixes are usually pretty bad and thats what owners of the HK Killer disc said. The Fox Lorber is better, and the sound is how it was intended.
Old 07-09-01, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the heads up, guys!

I, too, miss the AsianDVDGuide. It used to come in handy when there were multiple releases of a certain movie, such as this one.

BTW, ipkevin: You're still holding out hope for the promised SEs from Fox Lorber, eh? By gum, you are a trooper!
Old 07-11-01, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
I previously owned the HK disc with the 5.1 audio. If it means anything to you, I purchased the Fox Lorber version and am getting rid of the HK disc. The 5.1 audio is definitely not worth it and the commentary on the fox lorber disc is interesting.
Old 07-11-01, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the HK version.. am getting the FL one for commentary and all.. but I can't really gauge that the 5.1 is AWFUL per se.. it just.. wasn't really there as far as I could tell..
Old 07-11-01, 03:47 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The 5.1 mix is pathetic. An absolute joke. Go for the ORIGINAL mono soundtyrack. It sounds better and is approved by John Woo.
Old 07-15-01, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, so guys really love that re-mix, don't you?

I'm convinced. Fox-Lorber for me...at least until that glorious day that I find an old dusty copy of the Criterion version sitting on the shelf of some out of the way ma & pop store.

Ahhhh, I can dream can't I?
Old 07-15-01, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by CrumpsBrother
Wow, so guys really love that re-mix, don't you?

I'm convinced. Fox-Lorber for me...at least until that glorious day that I find an old dusty copy of the Criterion version sitting on the shelf of some out of the way ma & pop store.

Ahhhh, I can dream can't I?
Actually Fox did their version apparently from the same master, and I read that the Killer (and Hard Boiled) Criterion was a little too dark. Plus, if John Woos commentaries on the Killer Criterion and Fox is as different as the commentary he did Hard Boiled, you are better off with the Fox. By the time he did commentary for the Fox discs, for lack of a better phrase "He learn better English" than he had on the criterion versions.