Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Black Adder - The Complete Collector's Set

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Black Adder - The Complete Collector's Set

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-01, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have this set already? It appears both Blackadder's Christmas Carol and The Cavalier Years are in the set after all (great!).

Now I hope the transfer quality is good on the entire series, the region 2 versions are terrible (motion errors, artifacts,...).

Anyone?
Old 06-27-01, 06:45 PM

the image quality is comparable to the VHS. Could have been better.
there are no subtitles; only TV generated ones. what's up with the BBC? Ab Fab, Black adder too? I hope for the Fawlty Towers set there will be the option to have subtitles, and not the TV generated ones.

But again, I only finished the first disc.
Old 06-29-01, 04:07 PM

I haven't gone through the entire set, but I was curious about the Christmas special too. It is included, on the third disc. The Cavalier Years is on the second. Luckily, the set isn't just the five discs packaged in a box, its more like the X-Files, all in a big fold-out. Quite nice.
Old 06-29-01, 05:49 PM

And what's the quality like? Acceptable?

I'm not particularly wondering whether the picture itself is great or not (it's an "old" TV-show after all), but I'm more hoping that the horrible MPEG artifacts of the Region 2 releases are absent here (terrible motion blur e.g.).

Thanks!
Old 07-04-01, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by DVD Freak
And what's the quality like? Acceptable?

I'm not particularly wondering whether the picture itself is great or not (it's an "old" TV-show after all), but I'm more hoping that the horrible MPEG artifacts of the Region 2 releases are absent here (terrible motion blur e.g.).

Thanks!
I don't own the region2 release so I am not sure what you mean with those "horrible MPEG artifacts".
I only watched this set one time and as far as I can remember there wasn't any motion blurs.

all the discs have three trailers (BBC America, French and Saunders, and Father Ted). for each disc there is a who's who (who played which person and if they played other parts in other black adder series). Except for disc 5 (back and forth) there are also short history liner notes dealing with the series. Both the who's who and linernotes are narrated by the actor who plays Baldrick.

and on all discs there is an additional special thing.
for disc 1, there is a sing along black adder theme song.
disc 2: there is the cavalier years
disc 3: a christmas carol
disc 4: an interview with Rowan Curtis the writer of BA.
disc 5: baldrick's diary (a behind the scenes of Back and Forth)

A have to agree with Rowan, Balck Adder 4, especially the last episode is really the best episode, because in it the characters for a brief moment are no longer "characters" but real human beings and it makes it a really tragic yet powerful ending.

Old 07-07-01, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I have to give a thumbs up for this, too. I didn't even know 'The Cavalier Years' existed, and it wasn't advertised in the description at the online store I used. Or for that matter, neither was Christmas Carol.

Video quality is good. It is old, it is a TV show, and it is the BBC. No multi-million dollar restoration here. But hey, it looks and sounds better than PBS, so thats a plus.

I got it for about $75.00 shipped, so look for a good deal. Now...I have a cunning plan.....

CFG!