DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Unbreakable DVD review!

Old 06-13-01, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.dvdindetail.com just put up a review of the upcoming Unbreakable 2-disc "Vista Series" DVD set. looks yummy!!
Old 06-13-01, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm.. maybe you should post this in the DVD Reviews forum?
Old 06-13-01, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Snowball
Hmm.. maybe you should post this in the DVD Reviews forum?
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 06-13-01, 10:46 AM

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
I am looking forward to this one!
Old 06-14-01, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

here's another review:
http://www.dvdshrine.com/reviews/show.shtml?id=818
Old 06-19-01, 05:46 AM

Another:
http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com/art...&mode=&order=0
Old 06-21-01, 10:44 AM

Another review:

Unbreakable: Vista Series
Old 06-22-01, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And another:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...breakable.html
Old 06-23-01, 11:51 AM

Just came back from watching this and all I can say is I'm really looking forward to the next 'Vista Series' title. The video transfer is nearly infallible and the DTS (and DD) soundtracks engrossing. i haven't checked disc 2 yet, though it seems this isn't a chock-full-of-extras kind of set, which personally doesn't bother me much. Also, I was rather fond of the menu design (really classy and simple) and the packaging, the overall design of which resembled Fight Club despite spoiling the film a bit. Note that
Spoiler:
the design hints towards the twist ending, again like Fight Club, but only those aware of it can easily realise it.

VIDEO: A
AUDIO: A+
BONUS: ? (probably a B)
PACKAGING: A+
OVERALL: A
Old 06-27-01, 05:13 PM

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

I just finished watching both discs of Unbreakable. I love this movie.I saw it twice in the theatres when it came out last year. I can understand why most people didn’t like the film. It’s got no action, the pace of the film moves slow, and instead of spending the whole film fighting crime, our hero tries to be a better family man. You would expect a movie about a super hero to be full of action and adventure but its not. That’s exactly what makes this film so great! It sounds weird, but this is the first “realistic” super hero movie I have ever seen. I think some of you will agree with this point. I love the slow, methodical pace the story takes. It’s a great change of pace from all the action/special effects big blockbuster films we’re used to.

Now that you all know how much I love this film let me throw in my 2 cents about the DVD. First off, I would have loved a commentary on this disc but no such luck. My only other gripe is I wish they could have thrown in the deleted scenes into the movie for a special director’s cut or something. Just my opinion.
Old 06-28-01, 09:56 AM

In an unusual move for me, I bought this movie sight unseen. Seeing the trailer last fall made me think, "What's the twist in this one, Bruce Willis is from Krypton?" Somehow, I never got around to seeing it in the theater--busy holiday times and all that. After reading a few threads on-line and other reviews, I thought, "yeah, looks like I was right, BW is some kind of super-powered hero, and this is his origin. That might be cool." I thought I had already had the movie spoiled for me. I thought I knew what the "twist" was.

I was wrong.

Wow. While watching the movie I had some thoughts along the whole theme of (well, I don't want to give anything away!), but I didn't put it together. I should have known. Terrific movie, but definitely not for a mass audience that can't take superheroes "seriously." Loved the pacing and the long camera takes. Can't wait to watch this one again.

Very nice package design--why couldn't Columbia have done it this way for Close Encounters, instead of their messed up, illogical "fold-up" arrangment with the flimsy outer cover? And the CE3K menu spoils the ending; Unbreakable's menus maintain the eerie feel of the film and, in retrospect, fit the theme of the movie without overtly spoiling anything. I, too, wish there were more extra features, but maybe that's a good thing--sometimes it's good to be left wanting more. It will drive me back to watching the film again, to unlock its secrets on my own.

Thanks to all the DVD Talkers who, unknowingly, convinced me to take a chance on Unbreakable!

[Edited by GrouchoFan on 06-28-01 at 07:02 AM]
Old 06-28-01, 02:13 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unbreakable has been a strange movie for me. When I first saw it back in theaters, I enjoyed it. I can not remember, but I think I told someone I would give it an A- if I had to rate it. My only gripe with the movie was I felt it was about 20 minutes to short, and that some of characters reactions to situations were a bit unreal.

Since having the DVD I have watched the movie 3 more times.

After the first viewing, I immediately had to rethink my position. I was totally engrossed with the film. Like many.....I felt The Sixth Sense does not hold up over two viewings. While I still liked the movie, if you took out the twist ending, its is good but not great. Unbreakable on the other hand, with the twist in mind, is a better movie. Everything I felt lacking in the first viewing now seemed better. I no longer felt the characters were “off” but instead true to their “comic book” form. I no longer felt the movie was to short, and appreciated that my need for more information was in truth brilliance on the part of the director.

After my second viewing at home, I continued to be enthralled. I take my movies very seriously. With near 700 dvds now, almost that many laserdisc, and so many vhs tapes I have to use a whole room to store them, I feel I have had a good taste of what is out there. My favorite movie list contains movies from the 30’s, movies from other countries, and some that may surprise. While I appreciate a good popcorn movie as much as the next guy, it saddens me when a movie like The Patriot makes so much money, and the re-release of Ran gets hardly any attention.

What surprised me the most.....I was starting to think of Unbreakable as one of my top ten movies. I do not change my list often, and only after I have seen a movie at least 5 or more times. Well after my 3rd viewing of this movie at home, and 4th viewing overall, I am seriously considering it one of the best movies ever made. I know there are many of you that laugh at this idea, but I can not help it. The most important factor in a movie is how much I enjoyed the experience. It does not matter what that experience is, be it unpleasant during a movie like The Exorcist, or fascinating during a movie like The Third Man, what only matters is how well the movie achieves what it sets out to do. I honestly feel that Unbreakable is the best comic book movie ever made, and one of the best period.

Sue me.

[Edited by foxdvd on 06-28-01 at 09:34 PM]
Old 06-28-01, 02:42 PM

i second that opinion

foxdvd, i couldn't agree with you more. unbreakable is definitely on my top 5 list. you apprecite the movie more and more after repeated viewings. i guess me and you are are in the minority
Old 06-28-01, 04:14 PM

*Note... I've tried to minimize spoilers, but there are some I can't help.*

I got this DVD from Blockbuster having not seen it in theatres. I really enjoyed the movie. I don't want to watch it too much though because I don't want to become desensitized to it. (I haven't watched 6th sense for a few months so I can enjoy it if I don't remember everything, but who's gonna forget everything.) Anyway, I loved the ending. I thought after his first night out when he was going to sleep was an appropriate time to end the movie. I was wondering why the movie was still going. Then the bombshell dropped and I got this sick feeling. The script was really well written and everything had closure in the end.

Well after all that I do have one gripe about the film. The pacing is very slow for the first hour or so. Maybe hour and a half. It then picks up pace and you figure out what is going on. I try to avoid traliers so I know as little about a film as possible. I just want to kow if they're good or not.

Anyway I thought that M. Night should have left 2 deleted scenes in. The one about the priest and the carnival one. I think the carnival scene was the most emotional from the whole movie, even though it didn't make the final cut. Those of you who seen the picture what do you think?
Old 06-28-01, 04:34 PM

2 deleted scenes

I agree. Those 2 scenes were both very powerful. The carnival scene really help establish the origins of Mr. Glass. It gave you a glimpse of how hard his life must have been. The church scene makes alot of sense. I mean if I was the sole survivor of a train wreck, i would be looking for answers as well. Without that church scene, it seems like Bruce Willis just says "oh well, I survived a horricic accident. Guess i'll be on my way". i think the church scene made Bruce more human. He had more feelings about the accident and he was looking for answers. For those of you who pay attention to detail: Now I understand why Bruce Willis's car was the only vehicle in the church parking lot. (Afterall, it was a big funeral)
Old 06-28-01, 09:12 PM

Re: 2 deleted scenes

Originally posted by rbimike
Now I understand why Bruce Willis's car was the only vehicle in the church parking lot. (Afterall, it was a big funeral)
I didn't even notice the amount of cars in the parking lot. That shows how much I was paying attention.
Well I guess that's where the scene cuts from.
Old 07-02-01, 11:48 AM

SPOILERS UNINTENTIONALY INCLUDED IN THIS REVIEW

I along with a few of you put this movie high up on my list of top movies. I would have to believe that this movie will appeal more to those that read comics when they were younger or still do. My wife did not like it and can't understand why I loved it. Having read comics when I was younger, this movie touched me more. It was great in how it developed the hero and the villian. You liked the villian more in the beginning than you liked the hero. The funny thing was that again in this movie like the Sixth Sense the clues were all there. The fact that Elijah said the children called him "Mr. Glass", should have instantly rung a bell that Mr. Glass is a villian. Again M. Night did a wonderful job of throwing clues right in your face, right where they are the hardest to find.

The opening scene where Bruce takes off his wedding ring is a very important scene in that it shows that heroes can still be human and have faults. Some may even think of him as dispicable for such an act. This is until the viewer finds out about fallout of his marriage.

I agree that after watching the second disc I was still wanting more. The interview session with comic artists and writers was pretty cool. It was nice to hear from the producers and director that I was right that this was an origin movie.

All in all, I would state that this is one of my most highly prized DVDs. I eagerly await the next Vista Series Disc.
Old 07-05-01, 12:12 AM

unbearable

Spoilers included

I thought this film was absolute junk. I was hoping that it might be fun, but I found it dull & boring. I love sci-fi, comics, fantasy films but not this one. Thought the character development skimpy, and that dumb ending. Twisty ends are fun & fine, but I want some reasons why a character is who he/she is, and I didn't get that with the Samuel Jackson character. So out of the blue it turns out that he was the villian of the film because from what I gather he was picked on as a kid...Wouldn't watch this movie again if I was paid to. On the plus side it looked fine and sounded fine, but thats not enough for me.