Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-01, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
Your thoughts on movie/DVD. I'm listening.
Old 06-05-01, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got it Monday. I gave it a quick look. Its B&W, WS and 5.1 audio for some reason. No extras, but for a trailer.
Old 06-05-01, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as the movie, I would rank either this or The Searchers as the best Western ever. Although it's not as epic as the Searchers, I think maybe the characterization is a little stronger. At any rate I think they share similar themes---namely, that a lot of the men who made this country were kind of miserable SOBs with pretty shady morality (John Wayne)--and although the country may have benefited from some of their deeds, we tend to sweep them under the carpet and forget about them, because it's not such a pretty story. But on the other hand, I don't think director Ford is cynical about the idealism and high morality embodied in Jimmy Stewart's character---those traits are to be admired, and are necessary for civilization.

A very complex story that raises important questions about the nature of morality, justice, courage, cowardice----and doesn't offer any easy answers.

And aside from all that, it's just a very entertaining movie---John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart against Lee Marvin (and Lee Van Cleef)! I personally think that this is John Wayne's best performance. A classic American film.
Old 06-05-01, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not a fan of John Ford or John Wayne, but I think this is a great movie. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in so long that I don't have anything useful to say about it. I was very close to preordering & am sure I will pick it up at some point.
Old 06-06-01, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Watched it through today and Paramount did a great job. The transfer is excellent and despite the films age I noticed very few defects. The picture is dark and rich and doesn't look faded like many B&W movies can get. The restored mono soundtrack is excellent and has really been cleaned up by Paramount. There is also a DD 5.1 track, but its really nothing special on a film this old.

The movie itself is one of John Ford's best efforts. This is one of the best performances I have seen from John Wayne. I am not a John Wayne fan, but I liked him in this film. Jimmy Stewart does his usual great performance as the average American standing up for his rights. The film is about as well written as a western can be. I would put this film above the Searchers as John Ford's best.

It has no extras, but the film is worth the price all by itself.