Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Any reviews for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Any reviews for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

Old 06-04-01, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please post them here as soon as you receive them. I guess some lucky people were able to find it early, so let us know how it is. I hear it's jam-packed with extras, and I'd like to know how good they really are.

Thanks
Old 06-04-01, 02:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go to http://www.digitallyobsessed.com and it is the featured review, which means it's up all week. While you're at it, check out my Muppets Take Manhattan review, too (I'd take the Muppets over Crouching Tiger anyday!).
Old 06-04-01, 09:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty good dvd(especially the commentary), fantastic movie. A must-own.
Old 06-04-01, 09:51 PM

There are tonnes of reviews around the net... here's a few:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...dendragon.html

http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews...n_dragon.shtml

http://www.dvdtown.com/reviewspec.asp?reviewid=706

http://www.dvdshrine.com/reviews/show.shtml?id=783

Old 06-05-01, 02:19 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Achtung
I hear it's jam-packed with extras, and I'd like to know how good they really are.

Thanks

The extras are decent. The movie itself, however, is near perfect. That should be reason enough to get this dvd.
Old 06-05-01, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
After multiple viewings today I can attest that the transfer and sound is amazing. Didn't try the English version though. Listened to a little of the commentary and it seemed okay. Haven't had a chance to look at any of the extras.
Old 06-05-01, 08:05 PM
Cool New Member

Crouching Tiger review

This review says the A/C could be better, but seems like a positive review in general.

http://www.toldyouso.net/search/deta...idden%20Dragon

I picked it up today, review or not.
Old 06-06-01, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the reviews, guys.

Slightly O/T:
Is there any way to get this one from Columbia House as a Fulfillment DVD? I might as well get those two movies done with.
Old 06-07-01, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought it was really good though I think I was a victim of high expectations since I didn't get to see it in the theater. I think my biggest problem with the movie was I at times had a hard time telling people apart b/c I thought they all looked so similar. Anyone else have that problem?
Old 06-08-01, 12:32 AM
Banned

Originally posted by carp
I think my biggest problem with the movie was I at times had a hard time telling people apart b/c I thought they all looked so similar. Anyone else have that problem?

Er, no.
Old 06-08-01, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Great film, of course, and great transfer, but the commentary was horrible. For me, the worst kind of commentary is when filmmakers/writers are lackadaze and end up joking the entire time, especially diring serious films. (In something like EVIL DEAD, it just adds to the fun). At first, James Schamus jokes about there being no action for the first 15 mins, how crazy that made the HK audiences, and poking fun at Ang Lee to get to the good stuff, was enjoyable, but he never stopped being irreverant. Pretty much the entire running time he goes on and on making barbs at how one shot cost a lot of money, kung fu cliches, romance cliches, making fun of his script, and just never stopped wisecracking, which totally killed the mood of the film.

The English dub, according to USA Today DVD review is more "poetic", but I thought it was stuffy. Stick to the subs.
Old 06-08-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by carp
I think my biggest problem with the movie was I at times had a hard time telling people apart b/c I thought they all looked so similar. Anyone else have that problem?
Yes I know. I kept thinking Michelle Yeoh was Chow Yun Fat. Then I'd think he was she. It was getting all turned around. And the peasants I just couldn't keep straight.

Old 06-08-01, 07:14 PM

A fine entertainment surely but a great film? I don't think so. The Emotional tone of this film is one dimensional, everyone is suffering from unrequited love. The reserve is almost claustrophobic. No one laughs or has a light moment in this film. The romantic/action pedigree is thin, everyone takes themselves so seriously. In Farewell My Concubine the theme of unrequited love is similar but the characters are fully fleshed. I enjoyed the magic and incredible cinematography but the characters are thin and ultimately forgetable.And what was with the menus? If, like me one hadn't seen the film, the menus give it all away. Hmmm. Put your brain on pause, sit down and enjoy.

[Edited by Smog on 06-08-01 at 11:48 PM]
Old 06-09-01, 07:09 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Smog
A fine entertainment surely but a great film? I don't think so.

[Edited by Smog on 06-08-01 at 11:48 PM]
Yes it is.
Old 06-09-01, 09:53 AM

Hi,

I rememeber watching a bootlegged copy of CTHD a few months ago at my friends house and on it were the two music videos that Coco Lee did for the movie. I went out and bought the DVD hoping the music videos would be in it but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Is the music video only in the international version of CTHD because I remember that the bootlegged copy was from Taiwan.
Old 06-10-01, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While the film is without a doubt a great film to view I thought the video was far from outstanding! I'm speaking of the video quality not the cinematography (which was outstanding)! There was a lot of film grain apparent and the long shots lack a bit in detail. Other then that I thought the DVD was great and is a must buy indeed!

Also be aware I viewed the DVD on a 58" 16x9 HDTV that is less forgiving when it comes to hiding flaws.
Old 06-10-01, 01:40 AM

I'm with Smog on this one. I thought it was a decent film, but nothing to rave about. To me, it just seemed kind of like your standard fare kung-fu film (except with more wirework). A lot of "dialogue scenes" didn't really seem to advance the story, and it felt like they were just killing time between fight scenes.

And to Ketamine's defense, I did initially confuse Chow Yun Fat with the bodyguard (?) of the guy he was giving the sword to.
Old 06-10-01, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Killing Angel
Hi,

I rememeber watching a bootlegged copy of CTHD a few months ago at my friends house and on it were the two music videos that Coco Lee did for the movie. I went out and bought the DVD hoping the music videos would be in it but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Is the music video only in the international version of CTHD because I remember that the bootlegged copy was from Taiwan.
AFAIK, the region 0 DVD from Asia does have the Coco Lee music videos on it. However, for the US Region 1 release the closest you can get to it is at the end of the Bravo making of featurette. At the end of it, there is a small promotional bit about the soundtrack that shows a bit from the English version of her music video. I too was disappointed at not seeing the music video on the DVD.
Old 06-10-01, 07:49 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very good movie. It seemed better than in the theater, maybe bc I put on the english, and could concentrate more on watching than on reading.
The sound is decent. The video is rich and sharp, but has some grain, but I didnt notice it after the first 10 mins.
Old 06-10-01, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by iaido
Great film, of course, and great transfer, but the commentary was horrible. For me, the worst kind of commentary is when filmmakers/writers are lackadaze and end up joking the entire time, especially diring serious films. (In something like EVIL DEAD, it just adds to the fun). At first, James Schamus jokes about there being no action for the first 15 mins, how crazy that made the HK audiences, and poking fun at Ang Lee to get to the good stuff, was enjoyable, but he never stopped being irreverant. Pretty much the entire running time he goes on and on making barbs at how one shot cost a lot of money, kung fu cliches, romance cliches, making fun of his script, and just never stopped wisecracking, which totally killed the mood of the film.

The English dub, according to USA Today DVD review is more "poetic", but I thought it was stuffy. Stick to the subs.
Have to agree about Shamus' commentary. He became really annoying after a while and contributed very little to the overall track. Ang Lee was much more informative, when Shamus wasn't opening his yap.

As for the English dub, it isn't the worst I've heard, but it is in no way great. Those guys at USA Today must be on crack to think it is "poetic." Ang Lee even pokes fun at dubbing in his commentary track and I would urge anyone watching this movie to ignore the dub and turn on the subtitles and listen to the movie the way it was meant to be. Regardless of what you may think, it does make a difference.
Old 06-10-01, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Bobubott
And to Ketamine's defense, I did initially confuse Chow Yun Fat with the bodyguard (?) of the guy he was giving the sword to.
Yep, that's what I was talking about.
Old 06-11-01, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by samurai7
Originally posted by iaido

Ang Lee does more than just poke fun, he says "Dubbing is worse than anything to me." I just can't imagine, if the filmmakers hate it so much, and they do, why DVD enthusiast, who always stick up for director's wishes on other things, like the infamous "happy ending scene" in Blade Runner, turn their heads to something like this. The Blade Runner thing is one scene(maybe a bad example because of the narration, unicorn, etc., but you get my point), whereas dubbing is THE ENTIRE MOVIE. In effect, the director hates the entire movie when it's dubbed, it's not his vision, etc. Why do people excuse that but then laud director's cuts of little changes in other movies, and bash the studios for having the gaul to make changes, impede the director's, vision, etc. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Have to agree about Shamus' commentary. He became really annoying after a while and contributed very little to the overall track. Ang Lee was much more informative, when Shamus wasn't opening his yap.

As for the English dub, it isn't the worst I've heard, but it is in no way great. Those guys at USA Today must be on crack to think it is "poetic." Ang Lee even pokes fun at dubbing in his commentary track and I would urge anyone watching this movie to ignore the dub and turn on the subtitles and listen to the movie the way it was meant to be. Regardless of what you may think, it does make a difference.
Old 06-11-01, 04:06 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by The Killing Angel
Hi,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Gladiator DVD sold in Taiwan also has the music video, but the one we get here in US does not have it.

WHY ??? I want music video on DVD.
Old 06-14-01, 09:36 PM
Banned

Crouching Tiger

The only bad thing I can say about the DVD is that it DEFAULTS to the english dubbed version!!!!

This really ticked me off... great transfer, great sound, great extras but every time you want to watch it you have to reset the language and subtitle options!
Old 06-14-01, 11:54 PM

That was really my only gripe as well, it defaulting to the English Language soundtrack with no subtitles.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.