Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

WAKING THE DEAD

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-01, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOOKING FOR INFO on this disc..

Just saw it on SUNDANCE & can't get it out of my head.

Anyone else think it's a very strong film emotionally besides me??? And that Jennifer Connelly;...meow!

Help me out here...worth a disc buy?? any good extras?

thanks
Old 06-01-01, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the film was just so-so (Jennifer could read the phone book for two hours and I'd see it, though ) but I thought the transfer was absolutely awful in places.

There was actually heavy artifacting in a few places in the picture--for a DVD this recent I just couldn't believe it. The scene where Billy C's character got the phantom phone call is what I remember as being worst--the whole kitchen wall looked like one solid digital block. It was so bad as to be distracting. WhoTF was at the wheel when they compressed this title for DVD mastering?

Since I rented, I didn't have time to listen to Keith Gordon's commentary, which I'm sure is very good.
Old 12-26-01, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by J.F.SEBASTION
LOOKING FOR INFO on this disc..

Just saw it on SUNDANCE & can't get it out of my head.

Anyone else think it's a very strong film emotionally besides me??? And that Jennifer Connelly;...meow!

Help me out here...worth a disc buy?? any good extras?

thanks
Features:
Over 45 Minutes Of Deleted Scenes (with & w/out dir's commentary)
Director's Keith Gordon's running audio commentary
Theatrical Trailer
Featurette
Cast & Filmmaker's Biographies/Filmographies

Very good movie with an abundance of extra material to view after the movie is over. The deleted scenes are all by and large very good. There's a deleted scene with Ed Harris that is great, and was a shame it couldn't have been left in. Couldn't agree with you more about Ms. Connelly. If you haven't already, check her out in "The Hot Spot" directed by Dennis Hopper. She'll captivate you.
Old 12-26-01, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...for another couple of - divergent - views of the movie and DVD see here ( ! ! ! POSSIBLE SPOILERS ! ! ! ):

http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/wakingthedead.html

http://www.currentfilm.com/dvdreview...hedeaddvd.html

. . . . . .
Old 12-27-01, 09:52 AM

WHOA!

Wierd, when I saw my name on this from 6 months ago I did a double take..... wonder how it got back into circulation???

anyway, thanks for the info...still havn't picked this up as so many other new things have come out since... It's still in the mind & still on the "must pick up one of theses days " list.

I recommend it to anyone who has lost a loved one (physically or just split-up-wise) it will really touch you .

and as a few of us have noted.....

Jennifer being ever so bewitching. (No wonder the guy couldn't forget her)

Old 12-27-01, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rented this one night. I really liked the movie too and, yeah, J.F., I found it really moving.

The commentary is good, as I recall, although I don't remember it being outstanding.

I think I might pick this up as well, if I can find it cheap enough. I think it's worth it just for Billy Crudup's breakdown scene. and Jennifer Connolly, of course.
Old 12-27-01, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: WHOA!

Originally posted by J.F.SEBASTION
Wierd, when I saw my name on this from 6 months ago I did a double take..... wonder how it got back into circulation???

anyway, thanks for the info...still havn't picked this up as so many other new things have come out since... It's still in the mind & still on the "must pick up one of theses days " list.

I recommend it to anyone who has lost a loved one (physically or just split-up-wise) it will really touch you .

and as a few of us have noted.....

Jennifer being ever so bewitching. (No wonder the guy couldn't forget her)

J.F. - To answer your question about this thread popping up, I sometimes either use the search tool and look up information (in this case a review) about certain movies, or I just like to look at older threads when I get tired of seeing the same new threads again and again. This particular movie interests me, so I decided to give it another chance in this forum and bumped it up to the top again but responding to your post/query. Try it yourself sometime, it's fun to see how an old thread can be given brand new legs. Another thread I like to do this to is the movie "The Big Lebowski", another one of my all-time favorites.
Old 12-28-01, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just picked this one up at Border's 2 weeks ago. Jennifer Connelly being in it definitely tipped the scale in my decision to buy it. I didn't notice any artifacts in the transfer. It's a great movie to watch with a significant other.
Old 01-03-02, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Waking the Dead was a good idea that just didn't fire on all cylinders. Not Gordon's best effort.

Connelly is, of course, a babe.
Old 01-03-02, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not challenging you or anything, JustinS, but what would be a better Gordon work? I want to check it out, because I really liked "Waking the Dead." What do you recommend?
Old 01-03-02, 07:47 AM
Banned

I LOVED this film. Excellent DVD as well. I love the haunting music.
Old 01-03-02, 11:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I loved this movie. Crudup and Connelly were simply fantastic. I too am a big fan of Gordon. Some of his other movies include:

Mother Night
A Midnight Clear
The Chocolate War 1/2
Old 01-03-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What is it with Jennifer Connelly and Ed Harris? They are both in this movie, they were both in Harris's POLLOCK, and now they are both starring in A BEAUTIFUL MIND. What's up with them?
Old 01-03-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I could say the same thing about Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson
(Permanent Midnight, Meeting The Parents, Zoolander, Royal Tannenbaums)