Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted - The Fugitive: Special Edition

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews Wanted - The Fugitive: Special Edition

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-01, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't seen any reviews for this DVD on any review sites. Has anyone here seen the disc or a review of it yet?
Old 05-30-01, 08:42 AM
Banned

^
Old 05-31-01, 08:04 AM

I can't find any either. Odd that there's no reviews posted yet for this major picture with the release date only a few days a way.
Old 05-31-01, 08:18 AM

I can't find any either. Odd that there's no reviews posted yet for this major picture with the release date only a few days a way.
Old 05-31-01, 08:24 PM

My copy just arrived today, and my full review will be up tomorrow at http://www.dvdmg.com. In short, it looks like a pretty flat package. Picture and sound seem identical to those found on the old DVD, and the audio commentary from director Andrew Davis and Tommy Lee Jones is pretty dull. I haven't watched the other extras yet, but I seriously doubt they'll be good enough to merit a repurchase for current owners of the old DVD...
Old 06-01-01, 05:26 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVDFile just put theirs up:
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...gitive_se.html

They said the new video is pretty impressive and the extras are decent.

There's even been some digital editing! ( Nothing major.)

-David
Old 06-01-01, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great, yet another DVD to buy. This is turning into an expensive hobby
Old 06-01-01, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts
Originally posted by Dazed
Great, yet another DVD to buy. This is turning into an expensive hobby
Welcome to our living hell, buddy!
Old 06-01-01, 05:46 PM

Maybe my opinion will end up in the minority, but I really didn't see the picture improvements indicated by DVD File. I first watched the new DVD on its own, then I jumped back and forth between the new one and the old one. Virtually every problem or strength I saw in the original DVD appeared on the SE as well.

Again, time will tell on this one; the rest of the world may decide that I'm wrong and that the SE provides a much better picture than what we viewed on the original. Personally, I wasn't impressed with the SE's picture; it looked good enough for a "B+" but just barely.

Link to my full review:

http://www.dvdmg.com/fugitivese.html
Old 06-03-01, 10:59 AM

Oatsdad, I would just like to take this opportunity to let you know that you guys (www.dvdmg.com) offer up some of the most interesting and in depth reviews on the web. Very fair and very accurate, when you guys give a movie an A or an A+ you can bet the transfer is a sight to behold. Also, if a movie offers both a DD and a dts track you can bet that you guys will be honest in your preference between the two.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know what an outstanding job you all are doing over at your site. And to suggest to others reading this thread to go vist it and read some of the reviews there, as they are the best on the web.

I'm out,
wrath
Old 06-03-01, 02:17 PM

Thanks, Wrath! We certainly try our best to be as accurate as possible. I think some sites toss around high ratings far too liberally, so I'd prefer to be a little low than too high. Anyway, I'm happy to know people like the site - thanks again!
Old 06-04-01, 04:59 AM

Hmmm...after reading the reviews linked to from this thread...it seems that WB has axed the deleted scenes that were originally advertised in the pre-order lists. Anyone know why? One review even says the director references the deleted scenes, but they aren't on the disc.
Old 06-04-01, 04:19 PM

I've also reviewed the disc today and although it's nice, it's not GREAT - you know what I mean?

The commentary with Davis and Jones is listenable and provides a few moderately enjoyable tidbits, but Jones hardly talks and there's some slow points.

The two new documentaries are okay, but the most interesting part is the end credits of one of the documentaries talks about an error that was removed from the movie for the DVD that is rather amusing.

Yes, those who have the original will likely want to go out and get this new edition for the supplemental features and improved image quality, but it's nothing that I think anyone will find too remarkable.

My Site: A Guide To Current DVD
Old 06-05-01, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's another:

http://www.dvdauthority.com/thefugitivese.htm
Old 06-05-01, 07:13 PM
Cool New Member

Fugitive

Here's one, they spoke pretty highly of this
http://www.toldyouso.net/search/deta...cial%20Edition