Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review on Anti-trust needed.

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review on Anti-trust needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-01, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone gotten ahold of Anti-trust yet? If so, what did you think about it?
Old 05-15-01, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy this disc!

ANTITRUST was an overlooked little gem during its
theatrical run. Th cast, story and direction are
exceptional. The storyline is a rude awakening
for those less computer savy, in a world run on
binary code.

The transfer is a stellar effort on MGM'S
behalf. When played back on 16:9 set,
the image is nothing short of breathtaking.

The DD soundtrack is also a nice treat and will
utilize your system's dynamics wonderfully.

Too bad the film was so poorly received theatrically.
DVD consumers can now experience an engaging film
that actually dares to be intelligent as well.

This disc is a must!
Old 05-15-01, 02:40 PM
Banned

I second Highdefs review! Nice twist or two as well!
Old 05-15-01, 09:50 PM
Suspended

I heard mixed reviews of this one, but I bought it anyway tonight and just finished watching it. I thought the movie was really good.. no not oscar-winning good but definately a movie worth seeing. The video quality and sound quality were both excelent too. I didn't check out the extras yet but I prolly will sooner or later. I thought the menus were kinda cool too

If you're a geek (like me) you'll prolly think it's nice that finally a movie got the whole internet/programming kinda stuff mostly right for a change, and for me that really helped make the whole thing that much more believable
Old 05-16-01, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Obviously, I’m in the minority opinion here, but I thought this movie stunk. Other than Tim Robbins, who turned in a credible performance as CEO of the fictional N.U.R.V. Corporation, I found little enjoyment in this poorly scripted and acted effort. Not for a single nanosecond did I buy into RP as a code-head. Equally troublesome were the gapping plot holes.

Spoiler:

* if NURV needed RP (or any of the other miracle workers on their list) they wouldn’t have waited till after graduation to recruit these people. especially when they only have 6 weeks to make their deadline.
* why go to all the trouble to set up RP w/ the mole girl friend when they could have just put him on the payroll
* sure, like RP could drop in, get up to speed on this seriously hairy code, and figure out a solution in 42 days. but since it’s a movie, i’ll let this slide.
* they have 42 days to hit their deadline and the guy’s knocking off work early, having dinner w/ his squeeze, etc. in fact, none the people on the project team seem stressed or ever seem to work late. (must be nice)
* RP was only working on one module; it’s unlikely he would have had access to the other code streams he needed to compile the finished product.
* the bad guys leave all of their incriminating evidence unprotected. granted the camouflage of the day-care center was somewhat clever, but it’s hard to believe they would just leave all of that evidence on the same machines used by the kids every day or that it would be so poorly protected that RP could hack in with almost no effort.
* the broadcast at the end was a finished, polished product that required editing and production elements, but the good guys only get the raw footage with seconds to spare.
* and why aren't the bad guys monitoring RP's every keystroke---w/ all their james bond spy gear, they should have known he'd solved the problem and killed him.

I’m willing to suspend my disbelief, but this movie just didn’t ring true to me on any level.

[Edited by audrey on 05-16-01 at 07:16 PM]
Old 05-16-01, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't watched this movie (it looked lame when I saw the previews for it), but I went to Fry's today in Palo Alto, CA and noticed that it's on sale for $13.88. Just FYI.
Old 05-16-01, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I haven't watched this movie (it looked lame when I saw the previews for it), but I went to Fry's today in Palo Alto, CA and noticed that it's on sale for $13.88. Just FYI.
Just released yesterday and already on sale for $13.88? That puts it into the realm of Battlefield Earth and Red Planet. Yikes!
Old 05-16-01, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by renaldow
Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Just released yesterday and already on sale for $13.88? That puts it into the realm of Battlefield Earth and Red Planet. Yikes!
Fry's does that a lot. They wait a day or two (after the suckers who absolutely must buy the movie the day it is released) and drop the price. Usually when they do this, I have found that their sales price beats all competitors (not including tax).
Old 05-19-01, 05:03 PM

I watched a rental copy of this last night. I wouldn't pay $13.88 for it.
Old 05-22-01, 09:27 AM

Well frys has alot of movies at a pretty decent price, Finding Forrester was 13.88 and was much better then Battlefield Earth, So i dont think the price frys has on a movie always plays a role on its movie review,

but i woundn't buy antitrust, justa movie rental for me.
Old 05-22-01, 09:29 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I rented it last week and was pleasantly surprised. While it was nothing spectacular it was better than I thought it would be. (I thought the trailer looked terrible). Also, the SE treatment of the DVD was a nice touch and I am still surprised that the studio granted it the treatment. I am glad though.