DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   Review wanted: Natural Born Killers: DC vs. Stone collection (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/107167-review-wanted-natural-born-killers-dc-vs-stone-collection.html)

gordon2 05-09-01 07:36 AM

Could someone compare these two versions. I ordered NBK from CH and they sent the Stone collection version, and I wanted to know if I should send it back to get the DC. I know the DC isn't anamorphic. What are the other major differences. Thanks

Wolfchild 05-09-01 10:30 AM

The theatrical cut from the OS collection has a better transfer - however I don't know how much difference it would make if you don't have a HD television or watch it on a computer monitor. And this is not a movie you watch for hi-res visuals anyway...

Aside from that, I really prefer the Director's Cut myself. The three extra minutes give it an added edge...when you go back and watch the theatrical cut it seems like a little something is missing even when you can't put your finger on it.

The LFE is much more pronounced on the Director's Cut DVD which is another reason I prefer it. It may very well be a little overcooked, but adds impact and excitement in my opinion. I own both of them but if I had to get rid of a disc it would be the one from my OS collection.

TELawrence 05-09-01 03:58 PM

I did the opposite primarily because I wanted the Anamorphic transfer for my 16x9 set. It's much better than the DC version which has much pixelation.

Wolfchild, Why is this not a movie you watch for hi-res visuals anyway?

I think NBK is one of the most visually arresting and stimulating films of the 1990s - not to mention a great damn movie, period. I know the formats and grain changes radically throughout the entire movie which to me is all the more reason why you need the highest quailty visuals to capture them accurately.

Not starting an arguement - Just my two cents...

roseart 05-15-01 08:31 AM

I am wondering the same thing. I sold my DC version because the new one was coming out with the commentary, but didn't realize it would not be the DC. Now I want to get the movie again, but am torn. I really want to here OS's commentary on this movie, but really liked the extra 3 minutes added to the movie. AHHHHH!!!!-confused-

What else comes with the new S.E.???

MrBEAViS 05-15-01 06:26 PM

Originally posted by roseart
I am wondering the same thing. I sold my DC version because the new one was coming out with the commentary, but didn't realize it would not be the DC. Now I want to get the movie again, but am torn. I really want to here OS's commentary on this movie, but really liked the extra 3 minutes added to the movie. AHHHHH!!!!-confused-

What else comes with the new S.E.???

Um, there is a commentary on the DC too.

roseart 05-15-01 06:57 PM

Whoops:( I wasn't in to commentaries when I sold it, so I didn't even notice. Thanks MrBEAVis:)

P.S. One more thing, is it the same commentary, or a rerecorded one for the Box Sets???

[Edited by roseart on 05-15-01 at 05:00 PM]

Decker 05-16-01 10:26 AM

I think it's the same commentary. The OS version has a Charley Rose interview, though.

Wolfchild 05-16-01 12:36 PM

Originally posted by TELawrence
I did the opposite primarily because I wanted the Anamorphic transfer for my 16x9 set. It's much better than the DC version which has much pixelation.

Wolfchild, Why is this not a movie you watch for hi-res visuals anyway?

I think NBK is one of the most visually arresting and stimulating films of the 1990s - not to mention a great damn movie, period. I know the formats and grain changes radically throughout the entire movie which to me is all the more reason why you need the highest quailty visuals to capture them accurately.

Not starting an arguement - Just my two cents...

I don't mean to argue either and maybe I stated my opinion a bit strongly. After all, I am keeping both versions of the film which is unusual for me :) You're right, the new anamorphic transfer DOES look better. I just feel that once you settle in to watching the DC and are not comparing the two directly, that I all but forget that the transfer isn't as good.

NBK overall, in my opinion anyway, doesn't have a lot of photography with detail that's severely compromised by the non-enhanced transfer. Like I said, I KNOW the DC version doesn't look as good but it's 'good enough' once I start to watch it.

The sound on the DC definitely has loads more OOMPHH on my system. It may be perhaps an overcooked mix, but when some of the LFE hits me in the chest watching the DC, it definitely has more impact IMO. And like I said I prefer the original DVD's cut anyway. But I'm keeping both, maybe it's silly....if a person has a 16x9 set and the best picture is the most important thing, then I have to agree that the OS version is the way to go....

The DC could be a collector's item someday, who knows...

djtoell 05-16-01 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Wolfchild
The DC could be a collector's item someday, who knows...
so could anything. but the DC isn't going out of print anytime soon. Trimark (now Lion's Gate) has the rights to it, not Warner, and they are keeping it in print for the foreseeable future.

DJ

eXcentris 05-17-01 09:08 AM

Isn't the extra footage on the DC available as deleted scenes on the OS anyway?

MrBEAViS 05-17-01 06:02 PM

Originally posted by eXcentris
Isn't the extra footage on the DC available as deleted scenes on the OS anyway?
Nope, most of the DC footage are just a few seconds.

DarthMarino 05-18-01 10:19 AM

I was upset at first that the version in the box set was not the Directors Cut. I have the DC VHS so that is what I am used to. As it turns out, there really isnt much difference. There aren't really any new scenes added back in. The main difference is that they show Dwight McKlusky's head getting ripped off (which does look pretty fake actually). Other than that, nothing is really that noticable. There all little shots here and there. So, I would go with the Theatrical Cut, primarily since it looks better, but I also really enjoyed the Charlie Rose Interview.

chuckd21 05-24-01 02:33 PM

Here's our comparison review:

http://www.jaxfilmjournal.com/bmnbk.html

Hope that helps.

vannaLust 05-24-01 08:27 PM

side by side

The Told You So complete extras listings for each...

Director's Cut

vs.

Ollie Stone Collection

(fyi)

Chris

IIG 05-27-01 07:32 PM

Originally posted by chuckd21
Here's our comparison review:

http://www.jaxfilmjournal.com/bmnbk.html

Hope that helps.

It certainly would help, if it was a real comparison review. I don't call listing the different fatures on the different NBK DVDs, a comparison review at all.

chuckd21 05-27-01 10:59 PM

Well, since the anamorphic vs. non-anamorphic issue had already been discussed, I thought I'd offer our comparison of the features. Sorry to offend.