Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS review up on websites

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS review up on websites

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-01, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVDMG.COM has it!

So does DVDAUTHORITY.COM !
Old 05-11-01, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sweet.
Old 05-11-01, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, there was never any doubt that I was going to get this, and I'm sure I'll love it.

BUT - it is damn disappointing they didn't give us multiple versions via branching like the laserdisc. Equally lame is the fact that all the cut material from the prior two versions doesn't show up in the deleted scenes.

I have no doubt that this new cut is superior to the 2nd cut, but damn... I hate knowing that I'm missing footage from a movie that was so important to me back when...
Old 05-11-01, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DVDAuthority says that the documentary is SHORTER than that on the LaserDisc (but includes updated interviews).

This conflicts with everything I've heard so far. My understanding is that the DVD includes the full 101-minute documentary from the LD, with no new material added and none removed either.

I just wanted to mention this before people read this review and start complaining -- I think the review is wrong.
Old 05-27-01, 02:34 PM

DVD Authority - and the Digital Bits, who also claim that the documentary has been altered - are absolutely WRONG. I just synched up the two and they were perfectly identical. There have been reports that the documentary included some new segments or was altered in some way, but these statements are ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT! The documentary completely duplicates the one found on the 1998 LD - no changes have been made, whether to remove material found in the old package or to add new pieces.

Link to my review: http://www.dvdmg.com/closeencounters.html