Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

O, Brother Review?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-01, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is O, Brother Where Art Thou? a good title? What's the movie like? I might pre-order it, I can get it for (9 bucks I think),

Old 05-08-01, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

GREAT MOVIE

one you can watch over and over again, order it!
Old 05-09-01, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Tough call. I'd call this a rental, but if it's only $9, it shouldn't be too hard to get your money back if you hate it. I'd say it's one of the Coens' worst, but still better than most movies. Here's what I wrote about it a couple months ago in another thread:

I was pretty disappointed by O Brother - although I always have a problem with lip-synching to music. If O Brother did anything, it made me really appreciate just how amazing John Goodman is. I wanted way more of him. Holly Hunter also. Goodman should just change his name to Coen, become the 3rd brother, & work exclusively with them. Clooney should've either done a little more Gable or a little less. I'm not sure which. Too much of the jokey dialogue was too forced, predictable, & repetitive. Much of it seemed too false. You could see too much acting - & not good acting. Most of the cast seemed like they were just trying to get through their speeches without messing up a line & not really getting into a character. Even John Turturro who I almost always like seemed off. While watching it, I thought about just how tough it must be to be in one of these movies - but Goodman seemed so natural. O Brother rivals Hudsucker Proxy as the Coens' worst movie.

& here's a link with some more opinions: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=59922

Old 05-19-01, 10:24 AM
Cool New Member

I just watched it on a bootleg dvd (Asian copy). The transfer was alright (in widescreen, can't remember whether anamorphic or not) and the dd5.1 (no dts on the disc) was very good, especially when the singing took place. The show on dvd, in my opinion was an enjoyable, funny experience. I'll bet when it launches officially, it should be great with the extras like the music video and commentary. If ya can get it cheap, by all means, get it!
Old 05-19-01, 07:18 PM

I remarked to someone about this film that it was definitely from the Coen Brothers who had done HUDSUCKER PROXY (and I'm not saying that's bad) and not the Coens who had done FARGO.

I saw the film twice in the theater and while I feel a bit mixed about it, it was one of two films which came out last fall which contained a scene of positively jaw-dropping beauty. In O, BROTHER it's the "Down to the River to Pray" sequence. The other one was CROUCHING TIGER's fight on the trees. Both scenes moved me to tears.