Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

the Rutles

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-01, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anybody seen this? How is the disc?
Old 05-08-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This disc is a lot of fun, a funny take on the Beatles with the wonderful Eric Idle and the fantastic Neil Innes comprising half the group. There's a commentary with Idle that I haven't checked out yet, but if you think you'd like this you probably will. I like this better than Spinal Tap. Reasonably priced,too.
Old 05-08-01, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have the disc but I saw it years ago. It's especially funny if you know your Beatles history well - as these guys obviously did. A lot of it is very specific. Cameos by George Harrison & most of the original Saturday Night Live gang.
Old 05-09-01, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just watched this Sunday night. Very funny stuff.

Old 05-09-01, 03:24 PM

Rutles furor

I was purchasing DVD's the other day, when lo and behold, one of the ones I bought turned out to be this Rutles business. Man, I gotta tell ya, them boys are UNCANNIILY like that group that came out for real (I think) a ways back. Some Beatles or something to that effect. Except these Rutles had an Indian in the band! Imagine that! I almost did a backflip, except my spine is still a bit achy after a recent accident involving tacos.
And Barry Wom! His name rhymes EXACTLY with that of a good friend of mine, Larry Grom! I wonder if there's a coincidence in there somewhere, eating all my cheese.
It's kind of humid in my room. My pants are stuck to the chair! No, really! I try to stand up and there's a funny noise that comes from where my pants are! And they try their dardnest to STAY ON THAT CHAIR! It's me vs. my pants now, I'm afraid. The Rutle Band will have to wait.

Wish me luck!

Knob
Old 05-09-01, 04:22 PM

Re: Rutles furor

Originally posted by cheeseknob
His name rhymes EXACTLY with that of a good friend of mine, Larry Grom! I wonder if there's a coincidence in there somewhere, eating all my cheese.

Knob
Jeffty, is that you?
Old 05-09-01, 06:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
While the Rutles is a funny film, it's only really funny if you a) know Beatles history very well, and b) don't expect it to be like Monty Python. There's a bit of Python-esque humor in the film, but as a project from an ex-Python member, it plays it pretty straight. That being said, it's a fun movie and a good disc. Unfortunately, the commentary wasn't all that great.