Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews wanted: Highlander 4 endgame and Pich Black urated version.

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews wanted: Highlander 4 endgame and Pich Black urated version.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-01, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please give me your thoughts on these dvd's.
Thanks
Old 04-30-01, 10:45 AM

Pitch Black is a good sci-fi film, as a fan of the genre I really enjoyed it. The story is one that has been done more times than I can count, a ship crashes on a baron planet. The thing that makes Pitch Black worth watching is the characters, fot the creatures are not that impressive. You have your space cop, master criminal, holy man, troubled ship pilot, and your required character with a sense of humor. The film is well directed, and overall is suspenseful. There are two dvd versions, the unrated and rated. The unrated version is much better, it restores scenes cut for time(it only adds a few seconds of violence and gore). The scenes cut for time I thought were important, and it adds greatly to the character development. The transfer is Anamorphic widescreen, and this is one best I've seen. The film is very dark and uses a long list of colors, but all the images come through perfect. Images are sharp, detailed, and near perfect. The audio has both Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS tracks. The DTS will give your subwoofer a workout, and at moments is thunderous. The Dolby Track is very good also, but I thought both tracks could have been a better surround experience(The rear speakers could have been used more). The extras include 2 commentaries, (the track with the actors is fun to listen to), theatrical trailer, production notes, the standard "Making of"(which is basically a extended trailer). My ratings out of 5 stars:
Film-****
Transfer-*****
Audio-****1/2
Extras-***
Old 04-30-01, 02:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll second the vote for PB. I wasn't expecting much at all from it but it quickly became one of my most watched movies.
Old 04-30-01, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

PB 7.5/10
Old 04-30-01, 04:46 PM

thanks guys, orderd it today, anyone an opinion about highlander 4?
Old 04-30-01, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by TripleH
thanks guys, orderd it today, anyone an opinion about highlander 4?
I haven't seen the extended dvd version(I saw this in the theater), but I understand the dvd is loaded with extras. I loved the original highlander, hated the second with a passion(One of the worst films ever), and the third was mediocre at best. Highlander Endgame falls somewhere in the middle of Highlander and Highlander 3. It's much better than Highlander 3, but not in the same league as the original. It comes off as a long version of a Highlander TV series episode, with a few added perks and a higher production values. The swordplay is excellent, the story is old, and the characters are as interesting as ever. If your a fan of the films you'll ether love or intensely hate the ending(I won't ruin it for anyone). You might want to rent this one before you buy it, unless your a die hard fan.

[Edited by pagemaster7 on 04-30-01 at 03:34 PM]
Old 04-30-01, 07:51 PM

As for Highlander Endgame: mediocre movie, terrific DVD. It looks and sounds great, and the extras added a lot to the experience. Here's a link to my full review:

http://www.dvdmg.com/highlander4.html
Old 05-01-01, 11:04 AM

thanks guys, i think im gonna rent it some time