Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about Yamaha 6.1 receiver (5280).

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about Yamaha 6.1 receiver (5280).

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-01, 09:18 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I forgot the model number of this receiver, but anyway my question concerns the audio settings. I don't think it has anything to do with wires, but when I adjust the audio volume, there is a negative number displayed. For example, if I turn up the volume it goes from -50 dB to -25 dB, -43 dB to -36 dB, etc... and vice versa. Anyone have any input?
Thanks.
Old 04-09-01, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure your owner's manual can shed some light on this, but I'll give it a shot:

The number it's displaying is telling you how far away from Unity Gain you are. Unity Gain is the point where the input voltage (signal strength) matches the output voltage. Unity Gain would be "0" on this scale.

The reason it is displaying negative numbers is that it's telling you that you are below Unity Gain. Keep in mind that when you raise the volume, the value is increasing (i.e., -20 is greater than -40).
Old 04-10-01, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a pioneer with the same dial setting and now have the 5280. It was confusing the first time I saw it. You sort of expect positive numbers when you turn it up. It just doesn't seem quite right to say "Crank that up to minus 30"
Old 04-10-01, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different receivers use different scales to provide feedback to the user about the signal level. Yamaha has selected a scale that ranges from -100dB to 0dB. At 0dB, the amplifier inside of the receiver (as mentioned above) is very close to unity gain (Vout/Vin = 1). Because this is a dB scale (logrithmic), the closer you approach 0dB, the faster the sound coming out of your speakers will become "louder". I don't know why Yamaha (along with some other manufactures) selected the negative side of the response curve, but it really doesn't matter from an engineering point of view.