Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Diminishing Returns: expensive hardware upgrades you regret

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Diminishing Returns: expensive hardware upgrades you regret

Old 04-07-01, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just wondering before i get compulsive about this if anybody has any cautionary tales of upgrades they regret and could have easily done without. it's usually hard to admit you goofed so know in advance how much i appreciate you coming forward.
was thinking of upgrading the speakers from what came w/ the HTIB set. the fronts and center i'm looking at cost 25% more than entire system i first bought and i don't know if the acoustics of the room warrant it right now.
Old 04-08-01, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the only part I've purchased recently that I regretted enough to actually return was a digital STB for my HD-ready TV. As it turns out, there's really nothing worth watching since all the digital signals are broadcasting basically identically to analog signals. Sure the picture may be a hair better, but was it worth $600 to have a marginally better picture?
I decided to return the unit, and wait for either prices to fall, or more broadcasting to be available in High Definition.
Old 04-08-01, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The one thing that sticks out in my mind is the karaoke unit I purchased a few years back. Fortunately I was able to sell it for a little more than 1/2 of what I paid for it a few years later.

Other than that they only time I have regretted my home theater purchases is when I have chosen the cheaper model as usually it means I want to upgrade sooner, costing me more money in the end.

-g
Old 04-08-01, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Movie_Man
I think the only part I've purchased recently that I regretted enough to actually return was a digital STB for my HD-ready TV. As it turns out, there's really nothing worth watching since all the digital signals are broadcasting basically identically to analog signals. Sure the picture may be a hair better, but was it worth $600 to have a marginally better picture?
I decided to return the unit, and wait for either prices to fall, or more broadcasting to be available in High Definition.
I hate to hijack someone's thread, but after reading your post, I felt compelled to ask: what type of stb are you talking about? Are you refering to digital cable picture quality to analog picture qulaity when you said it was a 'hair' better?
I just wanted to make sure you were talking about digital cable and not a true HD source like a Dish Network or DirecTV DSS signal, which is like night and day to standard analog broadcasts.

[Edited by DVD_O_Rama on 04-08-01 at 04:38 PM]