DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Speakers for Marantz SR7000

Old 04-07-01, 03:47 PM

I am a HT newbie trying to set up my first HT system. I just brought a Marantz SR7000 from my friend who is upgrading to a Marantz pre/pro setup. I love the sound of this receiver but that was with a $4K set of KEF speakers.

My budget for speaker is about $1500. The problem is I have very limited time to go out to audition all different type of setups. I would like to hear from people who has this receiver or have speakers that is in this price range so I could narrow down my choice.

The rest of my equipements:

Toshiba TW40X81 RPTV
Toshiba SD5109 DVD

This system will be setup in my family room, size is about 20x25. HT "designated conner" is about 20x10. It will be used 60/40 (movie vs music). I mostly listen to rock (nothing too heavy) and some classical stuff.

Thanks for your time and help !

Regards,
David
Old 04-07-01, 05:38 PM
Cool New Member

David, I had your exact same question (check the thread http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=92530) and as a matter of fact I have your exact setup (Toshiba 40H80 and SD5109 DVD player). I'm also looking for speakers although for now I'm just going to get a pair of good front speakers.

Based on the recommendations I got I went to audition the Marantz 7000 with a pair of B&W 603 S2 speakers. I liked them very much. I also listened to some Paradigm (I think they were the Monitor 7, but I'm not completely sure). The B&W were a little bit more expensive ($ 1100 MSRP, you can usually get them for ~ 1000) although in my opinion they had a better separation and clarity with respect to the comparable Paradigm. I brought my own classical CD's to the store and at least for classical music the B&W were better to me. The B&W 602 S2 ($ 600 MSRP) are also very good although if you don't buy a subwoofer right away you will not get enough bass. I still haven't bought them (I want to audition a few more before making up my mind). Some other speakers that were suggested to me by a friend are the NHT super-two or the NHT 2.5i. I didn't listen to them yet. I want to go to a place where they also have the B&W so I can compare them (in the audio store I went they had B&W and Paradigm, but not NHT).

Anyway I really think you should go and listen to some of the speakers yourself to see the ones you like the most. Among all the HT components the speakers are probably the most subjective. Good luck.
Old 04-07-01, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the info !!!

B&W are very nice speaker ! I have heard one of two of them but then they are the top of the line models ... One speaker you might want to try out is PSB. I have not heard them myself by my friend who sold me the receiver recommended it.

Good Hunting !
Old 04-07-01, 08:34 PM

DAVID, I too have the Marantz SR7000 with a Toshiba 2109, but a crappy old GE TV. Though I have an old set of Infinity Crescendos for fronts and rears, I doubt anyone here would recommend those, and you probably couldn't find them anyway. That said, I must agree with the posts above regarding B&W. I listened to the SR7000 in a local HT/stero shop with several different speakers from B&W line and the sound was absolutely fantastic. If I had the money, that's what I would upgrade to today. If you like the idea of B&W, but can't find prices that fit your price range, try checking the audioreview marketplace. There are ALWAYS people selling used B&W speakers there and since we're talking about such high end speakers, the used ones are usually from people who've taken excellent care of their speakers.

Good Luck!
Old 04-07-01, 09:49 PM

I have the Marantz 8000 and after auditioning n number of setups @ home (i had a good dealer) - i would suggest NHT for Marantz. I know others on this board here who have the Marantz and NHT setup - and are very pleased with it.

BTW, I did not try B&W.... but NHT and Maratz is a safe bet - u wont go wroing.......

HTH!
Old 04-07-01, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by eauctiontrust
I have the Marantz 8000 and after auditioning n number of setups @ home (i had a good dealer) - i would suggest NHT for Marantz. I know others on this board here who have the Marantz and NHT setup - and are very pleased with it.

BTW, I did not try B&W.... but NHT and Maratz is a safe bet - u wont go wroing.......

HTH!
Bingo, eauctiontrust, think we have similar setups. I have the 8000 and NHT superone fronts, supercenter, and superzero rears. My sub is a velodyne CT-120 which is wonderful. The nice thing about the nht's is they deliver great sound in a bookshelf/wall mount speaker. The whole setup with the sub would be well under budget and sounds terrific. Might even be able to do superones all around. Since I bought the sub I have heard great things about an HSU sub too.

NHTs shine when driven by a good receiver and work very well with marantz. I did also hear some nice Tannoy's but they would cost a LOT more.
Old 04-08-01, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK I will put in my plug for Paradigm speakers. I have never heard them on a Marantz, but I sure they would sound great as usual.

Right now I own Paradigm speakers, but I have owned NHT Super Ones in the past and they are great speakers also. I just prefer the sound of Paradigms!

You can't go wrong with either brand
Old 04-08-01, 07:11 PM

I also have the SR7000 with a Paradigm setup(monitor 7s, a cc370, and Atoms. I purchased my receiver after my Speakers, and when I went to my HT store, I told the guy what speakers I had, he said that the Marantz was a great match with those, bear in mind he had the other receiver I was looking at, but he really suggested this unit. (the five channel music on this unit is great) The Paradigm setup I have will run you about $1300.00, but if you live in New York, you might consider a trip up to Canada, where I picked up this setup for around $800.00 after refund. The biggest part of picking out your speakers is personal preference, but Be sure to check these out.