Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

RCA Bigscreen

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-01, 08:56 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am currently looking at buying a RCA P61310 HDTV. I can get it for around 2600 or so. Is it worth the money or should I fork out a little and get something better. It is HDTV and has built in HDTV Dish reciever. I know RCA has had their problems in the past but what do you guys think of their stuff now days?
Old 04-03-01, 09:28 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I don't have any, but I never hear anything good.
Old 04-03-01, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually try talking people out of wasting $200 on a 20" RCA TV so you can imagine my opinion for someone wanting to spend $2600 on an RCA TV! Do yourself a HUGE favor and go with one of the other top brands like Pioneer, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Panasonic.
Old 04-04-01, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think RCA makes some really intuitive, good stuff -- but they have also put out some defective crap, and their customer service was/is notoriously bad. I haven't heard anything bad in a while, but they haven't exactly been making milestones either. Middle of the road is my guess: not bad but not great. They are also the official electronics at Radio Shack, which doesn't exactly scream "reference quality" but more of a "family" market. If they are priced better than comparable sets, I might consider them. However, $2600 doesn't sound "competitively priced", so consider all other options first.

I like the Mitsubishi and Toshiba rear-projections.
Old 04-06-01, 10:26 AM

I have had 4 RCA tv's with decent service. However, when the laser on my just out of warranty 1998 RCA 4510 DVD died, a rare occurance I'm told, regardless of brand, Thompson replaced it with a remanufactured unit for 50% value.

The unit arrived loose in a box, with a little bubble wrap, from the re-manufacturing contractor in the southwest. It worked one week before the drive mechanism froze. They replayed it again, without charge, but again shipped it with minimal protection.

After 3 months, it began skipping, freezing up, etc.

No more RCA for me. While they have the trappings of after sales service, there is little substance o it in MHO.