Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD: APEX AD660 versus DVD: JVC XV523GD ???

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD: APEX AD660 versus DVD: JVC XV523GD ???

Old 04-02-01, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apex is $149 and the JVC is $229

Apex
----
Ready to upgrade your home theater to DVD? How about one with the ability to play MP3 recorded tracks? Well, itís possible with this CD/DVD player from Apex. This device produces a picture like you've never seen. The S-video and RCA outputs bring the screen to life with an amazing picture and the Closed Caption feature is excellent for development of language skills & private viewing without disturbances

===============

JVC
----
The JVC XV-523GD is the ďall-in-oneĒ DVD player youíre looking for. Not only does it play DVDs and CDs, it also plays CD-R and CD-RW recordable CD formats. A Multi-Brand Remote is included with easy screen controls for digest, strobe, angle list & zoom. Optical and Co-axial Digital Audio Outputs with Dolby Digital & DTS pass-through are provided for easy connection to any system.

1- Coaxial Digital out - Can this be for 5.1 OR DTS??

2- The Apex can play MP3's- Can I burn a bunch of MP3's onto a regular CD-R (or CD-RW) and play them on the Apex with no problems?

3- Is the Apex as reliable as a JVC?

4- Can the JVC play MP3's? (yes, I KNOW it doesn't say it in the add, but if it can play CD-R's I am just wondering)

5- Which one would you all reccomend?

I am going to sign up for Compu Serve at Circuit City and get them, (and a printer and CD-R) so , I want to get the ebst value with my $400 gift card

Please email me...

Thanks all!

Old 04-03-01, 04:01 PM

I have the JVC model and I love it!The picture quality is great,the remote sucks! But everything else rocks!
Old 04-04-01, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wal-Mart is selling an Apex DVD for $98. I assume its the same model you refer to, but I'm not certain.

I have the JVC 523 and haven't had any problems with it. Oh yeah, it does not play mp3's

BTW I like the JVC's remote
Old 04-04-01, 11:30 AM

I would go with the JVC based on my experience with the Apex. My brother had a single disc player and it went out on him withing 2 weeks. He went back and exchanged it and his has worked fine. My father got the Apex 3 disc, and had to take it back twice before getting a functioning unit. Both of them wanted the Apex for the MP3 capability.

As for the MP3 function, you can burn the mp3's onto CD and then pop it in the player. The player will only read the first 8 characters of the file name though. This may be viewed as a problem if you file names all start with the artist name. I hope this has been some help.

Drew