Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

B&W 603 S2 front speakers

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

B&W 603 S2 front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-01, 07:42 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I auditioned a couple of B&W front speakers (DM 603 S2) to match the Marantz SR7000 receiver. I was very impressed with them. The clarity was outstanding and the sound separation was clearly better when compared to Paradigm tower speakers in the same price range (I can't remember the model name/number, maybe Monitor 7?). The B&W are about $ 1100 (MSRP), the comparable Paradigm ~ $ 200 less. Is there any other speaker out there they I should audition in the same price range before making up my mind? The S603 S2 seem very musical to me (I listened mostly to classical music) and I'd like to know if there is anything better for the price in your opinion. Thanks.
Old 04-02-01, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmmmm . . . speakers are a very personal decision. The B&W's are nice. but around that price point some other products worth listening to are: Theil CS.5, Magnepan MMG & MG12, Linn Keosa, NHT 1.2 & 2.5, and Sonus Faber Concertino to mention a few. you might also consider buying used which would give you many more options.
Old 04-03-01, 02:39 PM

As previously stated, the speaker decision is a very personal one. I auditioned the 603s2's and the Paradigm Monitor 7, 9, and 11's. I went with the Monitor 7's with a Denon 3801 receiver.

My only suggestion is to find a reference disk both movie and music and take it with you. Also, take a note pad. Sure, it sounds little stupid but it helps. Write down your FIRST impression of the speaker (clarity, bass response, etc.). This method isn't for everyone, it just helped in making my decision.

Good luck and trust your ear-holes!
Old 04-03-01, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

to tag on to Brunner's suggestion, many audio dealers allow free in home trials or liberal 30 day return policies. once you've narrowed down your selection to one or two candidates, you might want to try them at home with your equipment b4 making the final decision.