DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

SUPER VHS - Dead Format ?

Old 04-01-01, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My cousin wants to buy a new VCR

is it honestly worth getting a Super VHS as opposed to a regular VHS VCR ?

Old 04-01-01, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Desmondp
My cousin wants to buy a new VCR

is it honestly worth getting a Super VHS as opposed to a regular VHS VCR ?

I have an S-VHS vcr for 1 reason:

So that all my video sources are S-Video and I don't have to switch inputs on my tv.

To answer your question.. no, it's not a dead format. S-VHS vcrs have never been cheaper, too.
Old 04-01-01, 01:50 PM
Banned

I just purcahsed one as well, 'cause I could not use a composite video output on my receiver and S-Video at the same time.

I think the Tivo format will eventually take over thsi market but thats still a good year or 2 away
Old 04-01-01, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I replaced my old Hi-Fi VCR with an S-VHS model last year in June after the old one broke. The S-VHS was cheap enough to be worthwhile. Granted there is not much of a difference between regular and S-VHS ET mode..you only see a difference if you use S-VHS tapes...which are expensive but I think I made a good choice. Mind you ever since I got my TiVo back in December I hardly ever use my VCR.
Old 04-01-01, 08:15 PM
X
Administrator

Absolutely get S-VHS (which has nothing to do with S-Video except maybe more of them have S-Video outputs because it keeps up with the quality). The picture quality is far superior at any speed on my machine as long as I'm using S-VHS tape.
Old 04-01-01, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just heard yesterday that the digital theaters are gonna use D-VHS tapes as thier results are better.The format is not dead, its just beginning to expand!
Old 04-02-01, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Granted there is not much of a difference between regular and S-VHS ET mode..you only see a difference if you use S-VHS tapes...
You better get your VCR checked because mine and others I have seen see a signifigant difference between regular and S-VHS-ET recording!
Old 04-02-01, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The format is dormant but not dead. Now I'm seeing VCRs that offer pseudo-S-VHS, whatever the hell that is.
If you never ever trade tapes with anyone else, or you're into archiving, get an S-VHS VCR. If you occassionally trade tapes, you won't be able to give your S-VHS tapes to people who don't own a similar VCR. I trade tapes regularly, and only record TV, so I find S-VHS to be relatively useless when SP VHS does fine. YMMV.
Old 04-03-01, 04:00 AM

Originally posted by DigIt
The format is dormant but not dead. Now I'm seeing VCRs that offer pseudo-S-VHS, whatever the hell that is.
If you never ever trade tapes with anyone else,
Quasi Playback, this is for playing back S-VHS...
or S-VHS ET. tapes on non-S-VHS Players.
So in future when everyone has regular VCR's with SQPB...
They can play back all tapes from all VCR's.
Meaning: people without S-VHS players, can trade tapes...
from people with S-VHS players.

Old 04-03-01, 05:21 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Across the Hudson [email protected]: Hoboken. LET'S GO YANKS!
I don't think it's fair to say: S-VHS - Dead format but more VHS - dead format?
Old 04-03-01, 09:42 AM

I believe, forth coming, that VHS in general (all types) is a dieing breed due to DVD format. However, this said, I did just upgrade my Sony VCR to a Philips S-VHS for two reasons. 1: My Sony was dieing and a "Why Not?" situation was at hand. 2: Like someone else stated, I wanted all my video components to be s-video so that I would not have to change inputs on the TV. I noticed a nice difference, however, not a huge difference. I believe this is because I am so use to watching DVDs that I had higher expectations. I would definately recommend getting an S-VHS if you (or your brother) is considering a new VCR.
Old 04-04-01, 08:10 AM

Our old player was a Mitsubishi HS-U70 (s-vhs). It was about 8 years old and starting to show signs of wear (belts and gears slipping) when our son was born. When the loads of Disney and TeleTubby tapes started filling up our den, I retired it and bought several cheapo RCA hifis to put in various rooms. I really didn't notice much quality dropoff, but I did notice a slight downgrade in audio quality.

Recently we got RoadRunner (cable modem) at our house and along with it a cable box upgrade to access a truly digital tier of premium channels. This box (Explorer 2000) has full s-video and digital audio outputs (although the digital signal is DPL, not DD ). Since I now had the potential to have a fully s-video wired system if I got the old Mitsubishi working, I bought a refurb kit (three belts, two replacement gears--one of which is a 'tire' and the cause of the slipping I had noticed before) from some store in Canada for only $19 or so, spent six hours working on it, and viola--an s-vhs vcr that's literally as good as new. It's connected through an s-video switcher ($25) to our 32" Sony trinitron and the difference is quite dramatic, both audio and video. The (standard) vhs movies we watch a lot (Star Wars, etc) look damn good. Very detailed.

We don't record that much, but playback of our current vhs stock (which evolved from Teletubbies to Star Wars and Pokemon) has significantly improved with this 'new' setup. But as I understand it, this old Mitsubishi is one heck of a good vcr--I still see them for around $300 on ebay once in a while. Point is, I'd recommend going with s-vhs for the same reason stevevt stated earlier.

[Edited by MichaelBlanton on 04-04-01 at 06:12 AM]
Old 04-05-01, 10:20 AM

Michael, My in-laws recently got Time warners digital cable and I noticed the "s' video connection in the back. But when I hooked that up to the tv it wouldn't give the picture. I think it is a pioneer box. I wonder why the "s" video is not operational on ours?
Old 04-05-01, 11:22 AM

Wow, I was just starting to look for a new S-VHS since my VCR is on its last leg. Is there any brand/model anyone recommends in particular, or recommends staying away from? I don't want to spend much more than $150 on a new VCR that I honestly don't use that much, but I figure I might as well get the best I can...

Seems that JVC, Mitsubishi, Panasonic are the biggets makers of S-VHS VCRs. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-01, 11:26 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by speedzon21
Is there any brand/model anyone recommends in particular, or recommends staying away from?
I don't know if this applies to all their models, but I had a top-of-the-line JVC that wore out the head after relatively little usage. And the replacement head was going to cost more than the unit was worth so I had to junk it. I won't buy another JVC after that. My Sony has been going strong for over 5 years.
Old 04-05-01, 01:33 PM

jackflood, it may depend on the cable box. Again, ours is the Explorer 2000. Before, it was the General Instruments GF 2200 (I think), and TW Cable still said our cable was 'digital'. There may also be a software setting (the cable box will have some sort of preferences menu) that picks which output to use.

To everyone else, I think I paid around $700 (new) for that old Mitsubishi vcr. No wonder it's good. The RCA's were all less than $100.
Old 04-05-01, 02:50 PM
Suspended

Can you tape a DVD onto a tape (a regular tape) using a SVHS VCR? That's about the only thing that would make me buy one... Even if the quality is a lot better, I don't think I'd go with tapes over DVDs.. DVDs are just cooler
Old 04-05-01, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by necros
Can you tape a DVD onto a tape (a regular tape) using a SVHS VCR? That's about the only thing that would make me buy one... Even if the quality is a lot better, I don't think I'd go with tapes over DVDs.. DVDs are just cooler
True, DVD is the way to go, but for those of us without Replay/Tivo who still record off cable/TV, S-VHS will give a significantly better result.

On another topic, is it worth getting a top of the line S-VHS machine that costs a lot, or are the lower end (sub-$200) models OK for the general user?

Old 04-05-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by necros
The reason for a S-VHS deck is to tape things off air
or satellite or cable, things that may never show up
on dvd. It's not an alternative to dvd. I've been using
S-VHS for quite a few years and I'm satisfied with it
until dvd recording gets to a reasonable price.
Old 04-06-01, 09:00 AM

The formats are backwards compatible. There is a notch on an s-vhs cassette that tells the machine that it's there (like the notch on a high bias audio cassette). The only difference is that the s-vhs format uses higher frequencies, therefore the record mechanism must be able to handle it. That's why an s-vhs tape won't play back in a standard vcr unless it has the electronics to handle the higher frequencies, as some 'quasi-svhs' machines do.
Old 04-06-01, 04:59 PM

Using With D8 Camcorders

I just upgraded from Hi8 to a D8 Camcorder, I was always curious to how much better S-VHS was when dubbing from Camcorders, I tape a lot of concerts and trade those kinds of tapes, although most traders aren't trading S-VHS, just wondering what some people's experience has been with camcorder dubbing, thanks in advance...