DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Energy Take5 HT System (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/95881-energy-take5-ht-system.html)

chichi 03-30-01 12:49 PM

Hi,

Some gentlemen on the board talked about the discount offerred by Goodguys on the west coast and said it was available for 249 for Energy Take5 HT.

May somebody here kindly confirm this and let me know if it is still available? If anybody who was lucky to get one at that mean time, may you let me know which exact store you purchased it from?

I called Goodguy in SanJose but the gentleman said that had never offerred that discount before. The customer services people in Goodguy asked me for the exact store name where the discount showed up and then they can confirm that for me.

Thank you,

Chichi

CheapBastid 03-30-01 01:34 PM

The Good Guys store on Lake Ave. in Pasadena/South Pasadena offered the discount, and I purchased one (out of the box) for $199.

The manager indicated that Energy was releasing a newer model, so the existing model was going on sale.

Idex 03-30-01 01:45 PM

I got mine at the La Jolla, Goodguys. I paid 250 + 18.XX tax.

Stats 03-30-01 02:35 PM

-eek- WOW!!! That's a no-brainer. That's an incredible deal for incredible gear. I bought mine for $700 back in '97 and have never regretted paying that much. Probably worth the drive to SoCal for you, Chichi! :)

chichi 03-30-01 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Stats
-eek- WOW!!! That's a no-brainer. That's an incredible deal for incredible gear. I bought mine for $700 back in '97 and have never regretted paying that much. Probably worth the drive to SoCal for you, Chichi! :)
From Pennsylvania??? I am not crazy. :)

Does anybody know if that discount is still available?
Thank you.

[Edited by chichi on 03-30-01 at 03:16 PM]

audrey 03-30-01 06:14 PM

from PA you might consider a trip to Canada. if you do a search on the energy topic you will find the names of some dealers that were selling the take 5 at a very attractive price.

chichi 03-30-01 06:48 PM

Originally posted by audrey
from PA you might consider a trip to Canada. if you do a search on the energy topic you will find the names of some dealers that were selling the take 5 at a very attractive price.
May you please show me how? What is the key word and which search engine is best? I tried Yahoo, but get nothing.

Is there any pricescam.com in Canadaian version? :)

Thank you.

audrey 03-30-01 09:39 PM

uh . . . i'm thinking of the DVDTalk search. click "search" at of your screen. try using "energy" or "take 5" or "energy speaker". be creative, you'll find some of the threads on this topic.

cloud 03-31-01 03:02 PM

I bought these too from the Good Guys a recently when they were on say and all I can say is WOW. They are so much better then the Cambridge Soundworks speakers (Ensenble IV) that I had before. They pack a lot of punch for their size and the sound is clean, crisp and full with both DVD's and music CD's. Now all I need is a subwoofer.:)

chichi 03-31-01 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Idex
I got mine at the La Jolla, Goodguys. I paid 250 + 18.XX tax.
This is a reply from Goodguys.

I checked with the Pasadena store and they do not have the Take5 for $249 and they never had. The store stated that you probably are talking about a demo/open box unit.

It seems that they don't even have any ideas what their B&M stores are doing.

chichi 03-31-01 03:46 PM

Originally posted by cloud
I bought these too from the Good Guys a recently when they were on say and all I can say is WOW. They are so much better then the Cambridge Soundworks speakers (Ensenble IV) that I had before. They pack a lot of punch for their size and the sound is clean, crisp and full with both DVD's and music CD's. Now all I need is a subwoofer.:)
Does the store your purchased those speakers from still offer that discount? Thank you.

CheapBastid 03-31-01 06:47 PM

Originally posted by chichi
I checked with the Pasadena store and they do not have the Take5 for $249 and they never had. The store stated that you probably are talking about a demo/open box unit.

It seems that they don't even have any ideas what their B&M stores are doing.

Well, I can guarantee you they offered it. I bought mine on March 10, and yes, it was an Open Box Buy, but marked down to $199 from the $249 sale price.

The sales associates listed on my receipt are Leonard Stewart and Jeff Reynolds, one of them was a manager and very knowledgable (I can't remember which one, but I think it was Jeff).

The store phone number is 626-577-5300.

Woody 03-31-01 10:28 PM

It was a special sale from Friday 3/9 thru Wednesday 3/14. I went in a few days after and they wouldn't budge on discounting the retail price. The Take 5s are coming out with a new model so there may be another sale but there is no getting the 50% off price without a corporate approved sale.

cloud 04-01-01 01:21 PM

Originally posted by chichi

Originally posted by cloud
Does the store your purchased those speakers from still offer that discount? Thank you.

I can check but I don't think so...as Woody said it was a limited time offer. I'm glad it was posted here and I got in on it as I had wanted to replace my CSW speakers for a while but did not want to spend too much. The Take 5"s are great especially for the $266 I paid for them.:)

chichi 04-05-01 10:56 AM

Thank you for all you guys' kind replies.

I was told the discount expired.
Also, I tried shopping one from Canada but it seems Energy banned the shops in Canada from shipping their products to US. The price they offer in Canada is really sweet. :(