Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

SVideo to RCA/RCA to RCA Question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

SVideo to RCA/RCA to RCA Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-01, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My TV doesn't have an S-Video hookup, so I run a the single RCA cable for video from DVD to TV.

I know S-Video is supposedly better quality, so I was wondering if there would be any quality change in using a S-Video to RCA cable? Since it ends up with RCA at the connection, I figure it probably won't, but I'd be interested to know if it does, or if anyone has tried one of these cables before.
Old 03-28-01, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I have not tried it, but I don't think you would notice any improvement in picture quality...Also considering that such a cable may be more costly than your standard RCA cable, I don't see (no pun intended) any benefit.

Alfer
Old 03-28-01, 06:45 PM
Cool New Member

no
you would not see any improvment s video splits the signal up into Chrominance(colour) and luminance (Brightness) these would then get put back to one video signal at the RCA end

Old 03-29-01, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the replies. That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
Old 03-29-01, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Coverting from RCA to S-video and vice versa actually degrades the signal to a noticeable degree and should only be done as a last resort.
Old 03-30-01, 09:23 AM
Cool New Member

I had a question that I was going to post, and this looked like a close enough thread...

I'm just trying to get cabling straight in my head. Is there such a thing as a digital connection to a TV? It sounds like, from above, that S-Video is still analog. Is component, or the VGA-to-5-BNC digital? I'm guessing no, which means the only digital connection to a TV is if it has a built in satellite receiver in which case it would get digital from the satellite. True?

If S-video is analog, then how come my DVD player will only use it's S-video out when a DVD is being played, and not when another video source is coming through it (Toshiba Receiver/DVD player)? Just Toshiba trying to screw up my connections and force me to use an RCA in addition to the S-video?

Thanks.
Old 03-30-01, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Take this information as being general in nature. Sure, models may very, etc. etc. Disclaimer, Disclaimer...

TV's only receive analog signals. If you've got digital cable or sattelite, the signals coming into your set top box are digital and the box modulates the broadcast to an RF signal and passes it on to your TV. Your VCR and DVD player send in RF as well.

A very general way to tell true digital from analog is this:
If the wire it travels on has to be shielded, it's an RF signal. If it doesn't, it's optical and is true digital.

As mentioned in previous posts the different wires (S-Video, composite, component) seperate or group parts of the RF signal differently and with varying good to best results.

Before anyone hits quote and is about to write: No, my TV..." please read the top sentence

Old 04-02-01, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by renaldow
Take this information as being general in nature. Sure, models may very, etc. etc. Disclaimer, Disclaimer...

TV's only receive analog signals. If you've got digital cable or sattelite, the signals coming into your set top box are digital and the box modulates the broadcast to an RF signal and passes it on to your TV. Your VCR and DVD player send in RF as well.

A very general way to tell true digital from analog is this:
If the wire it travels on has to be shielded, it's an RF signal. If it doesn't, it's optical and is true digital.

As mentioned in previous posts the different wires (S-Video, composite, component) seperate or group parts of the RF signal differently and with varying good to best results.

Before anyone hits quote and is about to write: No, my TV..." please read the top sentence

No, my TV.............

LOL, thanks man. I Had a similar question and ya answered it