DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Yamaha YHT-23

Old 03-28-01, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello All, Im a newbie to the forum whos been collecting DVDs since Oct 97. I havent had the cash to buy a home theatre till now. Im waiting for said system to arrive on Mon 4/1. how do the "HT in a boxes" sound vs. some of the huge systems that alot of others have that cost more than I make in a year. Nice meeting you all.
Old 03-28-01, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In general, HTIB systems are less powerful, fewer featured options for (a) people who don't know anything about home theater or (b) people interested in an inexpensive starter system to build on.

If you're looking to get an impressive sound system, it is highly unlikely you will get it from an HTIB. Moreover, there are many crappy HTIBs and very few good HTIBs, so you need to shop carefully. Most people who buy HTIB aren't interested in researching their purchase, though, so many low-end systems are sold -- and few high-end systems are offered because they'd never sell.

If you're looking to start building a home theater and you don't want to break the bank, I think HTIB can be an efficient way to start, especially for ease of shopping and setting up. However, most people eventually replace components one-by-one as they can afford to, because they begin to notice the limitations and cut corners. So, if you're serious about HT, and you know how to research and assemble a home theater system, it's better to spend the extra money now rather than having to buy an entirely new system when you're dissatisfied with your HTIB.

The biggest limitation IMHO with a HTIB is the speakers, which are usually not that good. They are small to begin with, and with the capabilities of Dolby Digital and DTS, cheap speakers can ruin the effect.

Yamaha makes some decent receivers, so if you've purchased their system it's probably a good receiver. That will allow you to upgrade the speakers, which are a bit small for my tastes but are okay. I'm not crazy about their subwoofers, but you should at least be impressed with the volume you'll get from it. No hurry to upgrade here.

All in all, you've got a good setup and should consider yourself now "officially" a home theater owner. You've got a system to be proud of, so calibrate it, tweak it, and -- most importantly -- enjoy it!
Old 03-28-01, 05:14 PM
Cool New Member

yht23

where did you buy the yht-23 and for how much?

i am getting it for about $515. i was thinking of maybe getting just the receiver for about 300, the trying to get some energy take 5 speakers and a separate sub..
does anyone know if the energy speakers would go well with the yamaha receiver (70-80 watts / channel)? also which sub would go well? or should i just get the yamaha home theatre?

also one last thing..if anyone knows where to the energy take 5 for 250, please tell me. i know that good guys has it for 250 but they dont ship to the east coast..
Old 03-29-01, 09:01 AM

I bought the system at Best Buy.com for about $599. ($680 after taxes and shipping).
Digit: Thanks for the advice. I did buy the Yamaha cause Ive heard nothing but good about their audio equip. I do live in an apartment and I dont want anything too intense and I dont want to "break the bank" so I figured this would be a nice start. I do intend on upgrading later. Thanks again!

Old 04-01-01, 05:58 PM
Cool New Member

does anyone own this system or had the chance to demo it? how does it compare to the yht 17? also how are the speakers?
Old 04-01-01, 06:13 PM

Mgn2: Ill tell you when I recieve it. It should arrive in a day or so.
Old 04-05-01, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by mgn2
does anyone own this system or had the chance to demo it? how does it compare to the yht 17? also how are the speakers?

Hey mgn2 I recieved my Yamaha a couple days ago. After calibrating it and buying a sub and digital cables for it. It is sweet!! The sound is clean and yet isnt overbearing like some others Ive heard. Its quite impressive for a $700 HTIB. And I can still upgrade the speakers with that same reciver.
Old 04-06-01, 12:14 AM
Cool New Member

adia4625..
thats great. i'm glad you like it. i will be getting one soon as well once i get off my butt and go to the sears and get it pricematched. why did you buy a sub though? the system come with a subwoofer. also where did you get the cables? i need a digital coaxial and a component video cable..
Old 04-08-01, 11:10 AM

It came with a sub.
Old 04-08-01, 11:10 AM

I bougfht cables at Best Buy.