Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HSU VTF-2 or Sony SA-wm40

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HSU VTF-2 or Sony SA-wm40

Old 03-28-01, 01:19 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I've heard hands down that the HSU is by far a better sub, i'll believe that, for $500 it better be. My question is: how does the much cheaper sony sound in the long term. I'm looking for a sub that will last and if i can would like to avoid the cost of the HSU but if the sony is gonna get worse over time and the HSU although expense will continue to sound great. I'll pay the extra money. any own the sony that has had it for a while and still thinks the sound hasn't changed much? Thanks in advance.
Kevin
Old 03-28-01, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i guess i'm the resident SA-WM40 guy here, and i must say that i'm still quite pleased with mine. been about 4 months now of pretty regular (and often extreme) use. i test the limits of this sub pretty much every chance i get. i even put together a bass heavy CD-R for just that purpose.

i know of several folks who've had theirs much longer than i have and they're all very pleased as well. i also haven't heard any complaints about fried amps (usually the first thing to go in a cheap sub).

all in all, i think she's still the bang/buck winner.

is the Hsu better? sure. is it 3 times as good? hmmmmm...

remains to be seen.

p.s. good luck finding the sony.
Old 03-28-01, 02:10 PM

Between the Sony and HSU, I would go with the HSU. But, here is another sub you should have on your list which falls between the Sony and HSU in price, but could possibly outperform either:

http://www.adireaudio.com/rpd/rava.htm
Old 03-28-01, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by chess
... i even put together a bass heavy CD-R for just that purpose.

Just out of curiosity, chess, what kind of 'bass heavy' stuff are you running through the Sony, and at what volume? I'm not out to bash the Sony, as there is plenty of that to be found elsewhere, I'm just curious what volume you are running it at, and when it starts to distort.
Old 03-28-01, 10:03 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by knit-witt
Between the Sony and HSU, I would go with the HSU. But, here is another sub you should have on your list which falls between the Sony and HSU in price, but could possibly outperform either:

http://www.adireaudio.com/rpd/rava.htm
sounds like a pretty good sub, is this the only place you can get it or is there a chance i could find it somewhere for less. I've checked a lot of places.
Old 03-29-01, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama
Originally posted by chess
... i even put together a bass heavy CD-R for just that purpose.

Just out of curiosity, chess, what kind of 'bass heavy' stuff are you running through the Sony, and at what volume? I'm not out to bash the Sony, as there is plenty of that to be found elsewhere, I'm just curious what volume you are running it at, and when it starts to distort.
well, i haven't found any music that is more bassy than say U-571, but i have found a couple of cool tracks. mostly reggae, hip hop, and techno on my mix CD. one chemical brothers song in particular incorporates a frequency sweep. i think it's called "under the influence." as far as distorting, my room and my ears usually give long before my sub (if you know what i mean). and i'm talking about a fairly large room here. roughly 18' x 30'.

YMMV

Old 03-29-01, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with chess. I have to turn it down before it even has a chance to "fart".

Its been just over 2 months and I have yet to think that I need a bigger sub.

Old 03-29-01, 09:17 AM

>>>sounds like a pretty good sub, is this the only place you can get it or is there a chance i could find it somewhere for less. I've checked a lot of places.
Old 03-29-01, 07:35 PM

Count me in as a true Sony SA-WM40 fan...going on 7 months now and nothing bad to say.

I play it good and loud with the DVD's and CD's using my Outlaw 1050(55+ on Outlaws volume scale)and have yet to find the Sony lagging or coughing. It will rattle your bones if you tweak everything in your system just right (crossovers, volumes etc)

For $129, you can't beat the Sony.

Alfer
Old 04-01-01, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've owned the HSU VTF-2 for about seven or eight months now and it's been great. It really is a great sub in that it just makes itself really transparent....all I did was place it in a corner but you really can't hear where the sub is. Very tight and clean......and for the really low stuff you'll know where the money went.

I was in the same position as you (although I didn't know about this Sony at the time) and I finally decided to spend the extra money on a HSU. I determined that I would probably not need to upgrade it again anytime in the foreseeable future. And that turned out to be true - I'm very happy with my system now, and won't be upgrading it again anytime soon unless something dies on me.

Not trying to talk you out of the Sony as I really don't know much about it, just saying that you can't go wrong with the HSU. And by the way, there is a site http://www.jeffssoundvalues.com He is an authorized HSU dealer and sells brand new VTF-2s less than the HSU site. It was a few months ago but mine was $425 and a reasonable $40 shipping (considering the weight of a sub). It shipped immediately and the guy on the phone (don't know if it was Jeff or not) was very helpful in answering my questions. You'll have to call them for a quote if interested.

[Edited by Wolfchild on 04-01-01 at 11:01 AM]
Old 04-01-01, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by knit-witt

Also, since it is a sealed sub, it should be more accurate than the HSU or Sony since they are ported subs.
I disagree. Just because it is sealed doesn't mean it is more accurate. If the port or vent is tuned properly on a particular sub it can be just as accurate as a sealed sub.

On the other hand I am a sealed sub fan also I have 2 12" sealed subs, that resemble the Rava sub almost exactly. The design of the Rava box has been used for decades. My boxes are old Cerwin Vega end table sub boxes from the '80's and they have basically the same dimensions as the Rava box, even the 2" bottom base. They were originally rear ported. I sealed them and replaced the old woofers and they sound great.

Just wanted to add my opinion
Old 04-01-01, 10:55 PM

>>>I disagree. Just because it is sealed doesn't mean it is more accurate. If the port or vent is tuned properly on a particular sub it can be just as accurate as a sealed sub.
Old 04-02-01, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by knit-witt
[B]>>>I disagree. Just because it is sealed doesn't mean it is more accurate. If the port or vent is tuned properly on a particular sub it can be just as accurate as a sealed sub.
Old 04-02-01, 03:30 PM
Cool New Member

Thank you all for your help and opinions, i eventually decided to go with the sony, i listened to it, and at $168 shipped it was too good to pass up. Maybe some day when i have more money to spend i'll upgrade but for now i think the sony will do.