Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Cleaning lens on Sony DVD player DVP-S500D

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Cleaning lens on Sony DVD player DVP-S500D

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-01, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having a problem with my Sony DVD player. Receently,I get an on screen message dirty disc about half way through movies I have a CD lens cleaner for my Computer CD, can I use that to clean the lens on the player?, or do I need a special cleaner for DVD?
Old 03-28-01, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are having trouble getting a disc to spin up, or are getting that 03:01: error (or whatever it is), then it might be a drive alignment error, even though the manual states it is a dirty lens. Cleaning the lens may not cure this problem, although this is the easiest and first solution to try. You should clean the disc, and then try cleaning the DVD player's lens. CD cleaners should work fine.

The 300 and 500 models suffered from drive misalignment problems. A number of people solved this by performing the drive adjustment in the service menu. After accessing the service menu, you can insert a DVD-5/10 (silver) and DVD-9/18 (gold) disc and have the laser focusing readjusted. If you're having problems halfway through a movie, it is most likely because the laser can't refocus on the second layer of an RSDL disc. Performing the DVD-9 adjustment may solve your problem.

If you don't feel comfortable accessing and using your players service menu, take the player to an authorized service center and have them do it. Be warned: you always risk invalidating your warranty and misadjusting your player into oblivion by accessing the service menu. Try cleaning the disc and lens first, but if all else fails, I would bet you have an alignment problem.

[Edited by DigIt on 03-28-01 at 12:11 PM]
Old 03-28-01, 02:24 PM

I will try cleaning first, if that does not work, how do I access the players service manual, and where do I get DVD-5/10, and DVD-9/18?
Old 03-28-01, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You probably already own some DVD-5 and DVD-9 discs.

DVD-5 or -10 are single-layer discs and are usually silver in color. Most early releases (Batman, AUstin Powers) are single-layer discs.

DVD-9 discs are the most common: a dual-layered disc usually gold in color. Most new releases are dual layer, and the packaging might state it is an RSDL disc. T2: Ultimate Edition is the only DVD-18 disc I know of.
Old 03-28-01, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd rather not give you specifics on altering your service menu because I don't feel comfortable handing out second-hand advice. I have never performed the automatic drive adjustment myself, so I can't give you specifics. This would be my disclaimer to anyone with a problem:
  • If you're experiencing a problem with one or two discs, the discs may be dirty or defective. Try cleaning or replacing them.
  • If you're experiencing problems with several discs, you may need a firmware upgrade, and you should take the player in to an authorized service center for an update.
  • If you're experiencing problems on nearly every disc, and it is so bad that you can't ignore it, then you should also seek the advice of Sony first.
However, since your player is out of warranty, it will probably cost you more to repair the player than buy a new one. If the player isn't working at all now, and you'll probably replace it anyway, then it can't hurt to try the adjustments yourself and avoid a $150 service charge on a 3-year-old player. I personally know that some players exhibited similar problems, and those problems were not solved by cleaning the lens or disc, but they were eventually solved by performing an "auto drive adjustment" in the service menu. You might need a firmware upgrade instead, though.

Are you sure you want to make these adjustments yourself?

[Edited by DigIt on 03-28-01 at 02:19 PM]